Users who are viewing this thread

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
Just did my countertops and installed new sink double sink which is about 3" deeper than old and drains offset. Also purchased new garbage disposal. With my old sink my disposal was on left side and drains centered. I started to install new disposable on right side and ran into an issue. Seems with the new sink being 3" deeper the outlet from disposable will be too long for the top inlet of the Tee. And if I attach the drain to the side of Tee it too will be too low and hit the pipe coming from the outside drain. Any suggestions on how I can fix this issue? I was suggested by Home Depot a disposable kit to rework all the pipes from ABS to PVC. Will this work or should I stay with the ABS?

20200124_170803.jpg
20200124_170811.jpg
20200122_124834.jpg
20200122_124852.jpg
20200122_124845.jpg
20200123_163010.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. Dual bowl sink.
Switch out the black curved discharge tube for the white straight tube from the kit, right? Maybe like this:
disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

Switched left and right, of course.

Baffle tee made to have the center output to the trap could be used. But the top picture is better if you can do it.
index.php

Last edited:

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
OK. Dual bowl sink.
Switch out the black curved discharge tube for the white straight tube from the kit, right? Maybe like this:
disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

Switched left and right, of course.

Baffle tee made to have the center output to the trap could be used. But the top picture is better if you can do it.
index.php

So should I be installing the disposable on the left side or keep it on the right but instead of going on the top of Tee, go to the side of the Tee with the straight white tube from kit? But looking at my setup even going with a straight tube it seems the side inlet on the Tee is positioned a bit lower than the inlet coming from the disposable. What about taking all the pipes out and using the whole kit and working from the right side and moving to the wall drain? Any issues with using these PVC to run the plumbing to drain pipe at the wall compared to ABS that is there now?

Reach4

Reaction score
So should I be installing the disposable on the left side
Here, let me flip that for you:

sink-replacement-terrylove-3.jpg

What about taking all the pipes out and using the whole kit and working from the right side and moving to the wall drain? Any issues with using these PVC to run the plumbing to drain pipe at the wall compared to ABS that is there now?
Because it is slip, and not glued, it is ok to mix the materials. The white stuff in the kit is polypropylene.

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
All day long.

So I started to connect my disposable the way it is mentioned here using tubes from the install kit. I know I have to cut the tailpiece about 4" so that outlet from disposable will reach the Tee. Also I need to cut the horizontal piece a bit to fit into the tee. So after doing that I would move the right side of drain up 4". However, it will still be sitting lower than P trap and will be short as well. Do I need to get an extension tube to extend the horizontal part of the P-trap and also trim off some of the Tee as well so that they can fit.

thumbnail (14).jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I thought you were going to put the disposal on the left.
So I started to connect my disposable the way it is mentioned here using tubes from the install kit. I know I have to cut the tailpiece about 4" so that outlet from disposable will reach the Tee. Also I need to cut the horizontal piece a bit to fit into the tee
OK so far.
So after doing that I would move the right side of drain up 4". However, it will still be sitting lower than P trap and will be short as well.
I don't understand those two sentences. Let's pretend they are not there.
Do I need to get an extension tube to extend the horizontal part of the P-trap and also trim off some of the Tee as well so that they can fit.
Yes. If the disposal is on the left and the tee is on the right. Put the input to the trap under the output of the tee. Extend as needed to reach.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
This is the second time in a week that I've seen a picture of someone using that kind of plastic, deep basket strainer. Is this the new in thing or just what they include with a certain brand of sink now? I've always used the stainless baskets so that I could tighten them up enough that the plumbers putty would squeeze out nice and even on top and not have to worry about stripping a plastic strainer.

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
I thought you were going to put the disposal on the left.
OK so far.

I don't understand those two sentences. Let's pretend they are not there.

Yes. If the disposal is on the left and the tee is on the right. Put the input to the trap under the output of the tee. Extend as needed to reach.

Do you think I should get a different sink drain assembly since the one that I currently have (came with new sink) is deeper and plastic? That could help a bit with vertical alignment issue. Something like this you think will work better for me:

20200127_031425.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you think I should get a different sink drain assembly since the one that I currently have (came with new sink) is deeper and plastic? That could help a bit with vertical alignment issue. Something like this you think will work better for me:
I don't see how a different right-bowl basket changes things. Unless you are looking to not cut the tailpiece, and that would be a bit silly. Plastic tailpieces cut easily. You have a lot of vertical space to work with. The Ridgid Model # 41608 tubing cutter can make nice cuts on tailpieces and such, but you don't need particularly nice cuts. A hacksaw does a good job.

Some put in a shallow basket because they are limited in vertical space. That does not apply to you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would think it best to have the disposer on the right side, and keep a p-trap to the left closer to where the plumbing is coming from.
That way you don't need to extend the line for the trap so far.
All the drain pipes will need to be cut to fit.

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited:

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
I would think it best to have the disposer on the right side, and keep a p-trap to the left closer to where the plumbing is coming from.

I am thinking if I put the disposable on the right the tailpiece of the Tee might not reach the top of the P-trap (on the left side) even if I twist it over. Would I need to put a 90 degree or 45 degree turn so the pipes turn toward the right since right now the pipe coming from the wall is pointed toward the right side and just extending it a bit I will be able to hit the top of the trap that way. I will set it up that way too and take pic and see what you think.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try putting the lens of the camera at the exact height of the drain.

A laser level is handy for matching up heights.

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
Try putting the lens of the camera at the exact height of the drain.

A laser level is handy for matching up heights.

When I swing the trap to the left side it will line up under the drain, thus I will add extension to the P -trap and have it attach to drain on left side.

One other question I had is does the tube that goes from disposable inlet to the T have to be at a slight down incline and not perfectly horizontal?

Reach4

Reaction score
One other question I had is does the tube that goes from disposable inlet to the T have to be at a slight down incline and not perfectly horizontal?
Yes. It should slope at 1/4 inch per ft.

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
Yes. It should slope at 1/4 inch per ft.

So just cut the tailpipe about 1/4" less so it sits that much lower and then connect the horizontal outlet from disposable to Tee? Funny in all the pictures of this sort of connection you can hardly see the incline and looks like a straight horizontal connect.

Reach4

Reaction score
So just cut the tailpipe about 1/4" less so it sits that much lower and then connect the horizontal outlet from disposable to Tee?
Cut the tailpiece of the right bowl so that the right end of the horizontal piece sits that much lower at the tee than at the disposal. Similarly, cut the tail of the tee so that the trap arm is that much higher on its right than on its left.

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
Cut the tailpiece of the right bowl so that the right end of the horizontal piece sits that much lower at the tee than at the disposal. Similarly, cut the tail of the tee so that the trap arm is that much higher on its right than on its left.

So I finally got around to trying to put on the extension and based on the angle it is coming from the wall it still will not reach and align under my drain on the right side? Even cutting it down I don't will help here. What should I do next since this way it does not seem to work? Can I put another 45 degree on the exsisting 45 degree? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am attaching pics of how it looks now with the extension.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 233

JoeyDYI80

Reaction score
There are different ways to handle this. The simplest, adding that additional slip 45, requires no gluing. You could cut that long black extension, and put one of these in:
white-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c9665-64_400_compressed.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Plastic-45-Degree-Slip-Joint-Elbow-C9665/205153648

Putting this slip 45 on the end of the other 45 will this help with angle of the p trap connecting to the right or left? I just visualize it making it further away from the right side drain...but maybe I am wrong and not seeing it correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks