Should we be getting E-mail notifications?

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I was hoping after the upgrade that e-mail notification would start up again but it hasn't. This past week I did find one email from the about two weeks ago just after the upgrade from a reply on a post I commented on. I checked ever box in my profile setting and saved it but no change. For years I would get e-mails then it stopped about two years ago. About six months before the upgrade even conversations stopped. I did see one from Reach4 from the conversation ICON that he replied but I never received an email.

George Sica

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think we get those notifications. I'm not getting them I really don't need more emails . I suppose if they start back up ill see whether I want them or not we can likely turn the feature off or on . I'm not so good at checking e mail anyway

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I dont think we get those notifications. Im not getting them I really dont need more emails . I suppose if they start back up ill see whether I want them or not we can likely turn the feature off or on . Im not so good at checking e mail anyway
I used to get them all the time. It's not too important, I just need to know, however, getting emails via conversation was quite handy.

Reach4

Reaction score
I used to get them all the time. It's not too important, I just need to know, however, getting emails via conversation was quite handy.
I get emails for conversation starts and replies to conversations.

Check https://www.terrylove.com/forums/index.php?account/preferences and make sure "Receive email when a new conversation message is received" is ticked.

https://www.terrylove.com/forums/index.php?account/account-details defines your email address.

Check your filtering.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Is it going to your spam folder maybe? Let me know what you find in your preferences as well. I'm curious.
;)Sure enough, the SPAM folder had all of the emails since 1/17/2022. The first one was when I reset the email address on the17th. That'll sometimes initialize the email even when the same email address is used. I'll look in the JUNK folder occasionally and this was the first time LOVE emails were in that folder.
I'll be adding a folder so all LOVE emails go right to its own folder instead of mixing in with the INBOX. Both Google Mail and Apple Mail have the TRASH and JUNK or SPAM button right next to one another. It's real easy to click on the junk button and not realize it. However, occasionally I'll find email in the junk folder where I have received email from friends both before and after the date of the email in the junk folder. This seems to happen mostly from one person I've known for twenty years. I think what happen is the email program detects something in the body or subject and assumes it spam so it throws it into the JUNK fold. Sometimes all subsequent emails go to the spam folder.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it going to your spam folder maybe? Let me know what you find in your preferences as well. I'm curious.
Doing a heck of a job Taylor and Terry ! I never look at my spam and rarely if ever think of that when someone says they haven't gotten email Every once in a while I'll think of it and tell someone or look at it

Taylor Love

Taylor Love
Staff member
Administrator + Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Doing a heck of a job Taylor and Terry !
Thank you! So I think I have a theory on why it goes to spam now. It was originally set up to use SMTP but there were some issues so I switched over to just using PHP mailer. I think if it is lacking SMTP it will be marked as spam by the email systems. There is a feature to receive push notifications though. I have it enabled on my cell phone and it works pretty good, but I haven't been able to get it to work on desktop yet. (Not sure why.) Anyways, you can enable it in your preferences section. At some point I'd like to have an automatic prompt that pops up for anybody with at least one post that doesn't have it enabled for that browser. Just have it ask if they want to enable it or not for that browser. Something to look into for the future for sure. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you go to Preferences on your profile, you will see this.

preferences-01.jpg

preferences-02.jpg

Just check the boxes you want checked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks