Users who are viewing this thread

CalebRobertsonUSA

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I’m new to plumbing and I have a bathroom I am remodeling. I have a basic understanding/knowledge about plumbing, but far from an expert. How would you fix this dated plumbing mess?
If you could attach links to parts that would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Trying to learn as much as I can through this process!

Attachments

• 6E504B58-6718-4F0D-9693-A43779A79754.jpeg
    6E504B58-6718-4F0D-9693-A43779A79754.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 163
  • BF106E99-BC58-4C8F-9EE2-5DC4CF47CE7D.jpeg
    BF106E99-BC58-4C8F-9EE2-5DC4CF47CE7D.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 168
  • 5AA0FD2C-B2DE-42C0-AA84-CBDD00D4D06D.jpeg
    5AA0FD2C-B2DE-42C0-AA84-CBDD00D4D06D.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 166

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What needs fixing there?
That looks like a sink rough-in. I would guess that the galvanized piping is pretty bad at this point. Mixing copper and galvanized pretty much destroys the steel. I would think about replacing those sections with copper.

CalebRobertsonUSA

Reaction score
Technically nothing needs to be done. I was wanting to update it since I have completely gutted the walls in the bathroom. Wanted to know if there was a way to “update” this rough looking mess. House is 50 years old so I would figure this piping is 50 years old. I’d assume there would be a way to do this in an affordable fashion.
Any ideas/links/parts would help greatly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The cast iron drain pipe could be fine, that can last lots longer, or it could be paper thin depending on use and materials used that could run down it.

As Terry said, replace all of the exposed galvanized piping. To anchor the pipes to the blocking, use a drop ear el. You could use a solder one, or one with a threaded outlet for a brass nipple. You'd want one that could be soldered to the copper supply. If you solder everything, the copper stub coming out the wall could utilize a compression shutoff, or you could install a threaded adapter or use a nipple assuming you've matched up the ends with the next bit.

There are threaded pvc fittings that you can use to update your drain materials. Only consider a pvc fitting with a male end, female ends are prone to splitting if you overtighten things a bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks