what home water softener and filter system recommended for moderately-hard city water?

Users who are viewing this thread

socal brad

Reaction score
Would love your insight on the items below. Any referrals to a reputable vendor would be much appreciated. Thanks for all the great advice on this forum!!

Water Softener
Installation most likely by a local repipe company that will be repiping our home (due to slab leak) with uponor PEX with cold-expansion fittings.
Incoming city water line is 1”.
Average hardness is 116 ppm per local water quality report: https://www.calwater.com/docs/ccr/2019/rd-pv-2019.pdf.
Control Valve: Leaning toward a Fleck 5810 XTRi (programming via wifi would be awesome! what app do I need to buy, or would it be included?)
Resin: 10% or Purolite SST-60? Leaning toward SST-60.
Resin Tank: Leaning toward 1 cubic foot (“32,000 grains”)? Or should I opt for 1.5 cubic feet (“48,000 grains”)?
Here's our info: 4-person, 3-bathroom, 2400 square-foot, single-family residence. No high flow fixtures.
National average use is about 70 gallons per day; even assuming that we use about 90 gallons of water per day x 4 persons x 7 days x 7 GPG (that is, 116 ppm/17.1) = 17,640 grains per week). Our actual (soft) water use will be less than 90 gallons per day per person; we plan of running a dedicated, non-softened cold lines to kitchen sink/refrigerator ice box and to the irrigation system.

Our washing machine is in the garage and drains into an open waste pipe sticking out of the wall. Is it okay for the water softener system to drain into the same waste pipe, or should we have another waste line installed? Also, what air gap is recommend for such a set up?

Water Filter/Treatment
Not sure if it is even worth it for us to get a water filter/treatment system. For drinking water, we already use a refrigerator water filter, that is: Nsf 401 certified to reduce BPA by 99. 2%, estrone by 96. 6%, phenytoin by 95. 2%, Ibuprofen by 94. 4%, naproxen by 96. 2%, nonyl phenol by 97. 2%; Nsf 53 certified to reduce lead by 99. 6%, benzene by 96. 6%; Nsf 42 certified to deliver better tasting water by reducing chlorine, taste and odor; Nsf 372 certified lead-free material.

However, maybe I am missing something. About which items (and levels) listed in my local water quality report (https://www.calwater.com/docs/ccr/2019/rd-pv-2019.pdf) should I have concerns? One item that sticks out to me is chloramine, especially when inhaled. Our water sometimes gives off a chlorine-like odor when we shower; and our family has sensitive skin. What is the best way to remove it? Would you recommend catalytic carbon filter, and if so, which one? Or is the water flow rate too fast for it to (substantially) reduce chloramine? Or would a UV light treatment system work better? If so, which one?

Accessories
Flex stainless Falcon connectors
Any other accessories you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for all your help!!!

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
XTRi is neat, I have it myself, the app is interesting but like a wifi connected toaster, sort of silly. SST60, why? More marketing than anything else, just use a high quality 10% crosslink resin. A whole house Catalytic Carbon tank would be highly recommended. It must be sized appropriately for adequate chloramine reduction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks