Sump pump runs every 10 minutes on a dry day

Users who are viewing this thread

Amhp

Reaction score
Hi-
We are considering purchasing a row home in Baltimore city but it has water running into the basement that is pumped into the storm drain with a sump pump about every 10 minutes on a dry day. The two homes flanking the home have the same issue and no one knows the source but it's been an issue for at least 12 years that we know of. The water doesn't trickle into the sump pump--it looks like a garden hose has been left running. We can see that the concrete in the front has been torn up possible because the drain got clogged. We had the home inspected and the inspector thought it might be a spring or water main problem although we know the owner called the city and got no assistance with the problem. The furnaces and the hot water heater are located in the basement so we need it to stay dry. I am wondering if anything better can be done? I don't like the idea of having sump pumps running every 10 minutes every day. There is a backup sump pump but I feel like the pumps will constantly get burned out since sump pumps are really only made for occasional use. Thank you!

Amhp

Reaction score
Hi-thanks for your response.

No-we don't know how deep it would get but the water running into the sump looked strong--As if two garden hoses were running into the well part and I hadn't rained at all that week. The opposite corner of the basement was also wet --from top to bottom of the seam, if that makes sense.

Themp

Reaction score
I would not purchase the house unless the current owner fixed this or determined what is going on. Been there done that, meaning once you purchase the house you now own the problem and in all likelihood would have to resolve it to sell the house again. You need an inspector or someone that understands basement water problems to look at this. Your recent inspector using the the word "thought", is not a good sign.

Amhp

Reaction score
We decided to keep looking and not buy the house. I appreciate the responses and advice!