PEX installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

Timmed

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I just completed a total re-pipe of my home. It had galvanized supply pipes and has been completely re-done with Uponor PEX. I used 3/4 trunks for both hot & cold, and multi-port tees at each location to distribute the 1/2 supply lines to each fixture. Wow, what a difference in both water pressure and taste!

My question is about whether I needed to use protective bushings whenever the PEX passes through a hole in the framing or subfloor. I drilled clean, straight holes, and ensured that there was enough "give" so that the pipe could move freely as it expands/contracts. I was careful to not leave sharp edges anywhere, but the pipe is definitely touching the wood.

Do I need to be concerned about a leak developing years down the road?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's fine for it to touch the wood. It needs to be supported every 36" and the studs are at 16"
I have plastic pipe insulators I use too which helps to keep it from moving so much.

Timmed

Reaction score
It's fine for it to touch the wood. It needs to be supported every 36" and the studs are at 16"
I have plastic pipe insulators I use too which helps to keep it from moving so much.
Thanks Terry. The only other concern I have is the holes I drilled for the 1/2 supply pipes. I should have gone with a 3/4 bit, but I used 5/8 instead (stupid shortcut because I didn't have a long 3/4 bit) I can still move the pex, but it's a little snug. When it expands, I wasn't sure if it grows length-wise, or if the diameter expands as well. If it needs to move length-wise it should be able to, but if the diameter expands much, it will be tight. At this point I'm considering drilling new holes, at least on the hot side, while the walls and ceiling is still open. I assume the cold water side won't be nearly as likely to expand.

Thanks again, Tim

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks