Pex A Cold Expansion Help

Users who are viewing this thread

kmb8145

Reaction score
Re-doing all supply in my remodel. Using pex a as recommended by many. It’s all completely in, used the professional Milwaukee expansion tool for all manifolds and fittings. Now air pressure testing and using soapy water to find any leaks…I am getting small bubble builds in areas…these areas are on their second rebuild because they bubbles the first go around. This second time I used a heat gun to ensure a tight fit. I am at a loss since this is the second round and I am still seeing bubbles under pressure. I have asked a couple plumbing stores and professionals, they all have said to use water…I truly don’t want to cut and couple any more lines at this point…is the issue that I am using air and not water?

kmb8145

Reaction score
I am Uponor trained/certified. I'd use water.
I'd never see a need to use a heat gun for any fitting.
Thank you, it's been quite chilly and found the heat helped get things seeded quicker. I should be able to water test by this weekend. Will air escape where water will not?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't do a soapy bubble test. For one thing you don't know the chemistry of the soap and can't ensure it won't hurt the pipe. Second reason is you have three layers of material that are shrinking together. The voids that are shrinking have air in them. The air is forced out while shrinking.

When we do air tests your need a gauge. Go 1.5 times the operating pressure (60 psi would get tested at 90 psi) and wait 15 min. No longer no shorter. If the gauge hasnt moved your good. No soapy bubbles.

kmb8145

Reaction score
Don't do a soapy bubble test. For one thing you don't know the chemistry of the soap and can't ensure it won't hurt the pipe. Second reason is you have three layers of material that are shrinking together. The voids that are shrinking have air in them. The air is forced out while shrinking.

When we do air tests your need a gauge. Go 1.5 times the operating pressure (60 psi would get tested at 90 psi) and wait 15 min. No longer no shorter. If the gauge hasnt moved your good. No soapy bubbles.

If the gauge hasnt moved your good. No soapy bubbles. >> meaning ignore soapy bubbles watch the gauge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks