Users who are viewing this thread

BranhamFoley

Reaction score
Attached is my idea for the basement bathroom I'm installing. I was wondering do I need a vent like shown beyond the sink? Or is the ejector pump vent enough for all the fixtures. I'm never selling my home so I need to know what will work safely more than "code".

Attachments

• Bathroom Drain more.jpg
    Bathroom Drain more.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Bathroom Drain.jpg
    Bathroom Drain.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 195

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The ejector pump needs a vent because it is pumping "sucking" water and sewage out of the basin.

Every plumbing fixture needs a vent to prevent p-traps from sipihoning, which if allowed to happen, the messy sewer smells from your basin will be entering your home and smelling it up.
A p-trap without venting will siphon.

You only get the one chance to get it right. The fix afterwards can involve removing drywall and going back and replumbing the basement.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So in other words your 2" vent that goes above the roof is going to need to be connected to the ejector pit, the lav trap arm, and the washer trap arm, at a minimum. The WC can be wet vented by the lav easily enough (not familiar with MA's plumbing code; a 2" lav drain and dry vent would definitely suffice, the IPC would allow 1-1/2").

The shower is trickier to wet vent: the UPC would require it to join the lav before the WC joins in (IPC doesn't care), and you definitely would need to join the washer in last, after the shower joins the lav. So it might be easier to send the drain towards the washer wall and pull off another dry vent for the shower. Then with the shower and washer both individually vented, the drains should combine so you only have one drain proceeding from that wall to the ejector. The vents in the wall could combine at a height at least 6" above the higher fixture's flood rim (so the top of the washer standpipe).

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks