Whole house iron removal, Iron Curtain

Users who are viewing this thread

JackJ59

Reaction score
We're on well water, and have been using a GE 30k grain softener. With that installed, and using salt with added Iron Remover, still having staining issues (we have reverse osmosis for drinking water, so no issues there). Guthrie & Frey tested it at 2.8 Iron, 25 Hardness, 580 TDS, and suggested the Hellenbrand Iron Curtain ProMate 6.0-IC 2.0 iron removal system.

I've read that 2.8 isn't very high, but obviously, we're having staining, so still higher than we'd prefer. So... He stated that not removing the 2.8 will shorten the lifespan of the softener/resin. Is this true? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
2.8 is pretty high.

You would need some special treatment. So what are you asking -- how to select an iron filter, or how to treat your softener resin to deal with the iron?

There are some techniques to treat the resin with Iron Out to improve it. One user had a problem with the IO taste/smell long lingering after treatment. I don't think that is the norm.

You can get the big Iron Out powder at Menards. https://www.menards.com/main/grocer...er/io10n/p-1444444183163-c-7097.htm?exp=false

See https://www.terrylove.com/forums/in...nued-7000sx-softener-valve.91627/#post-659609] post #6
and https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fleck-9100-se-issues-dual-tank.98148/#post-706312 post #17

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are some techniques to treat the resin with Iron Out to improve it. One user had a problem with the IO taste/smell long lingering after treatment. I don't think that is the norm.
Regardless if it is the norm or not, I would not use Iron Out. There are other brands or resin cleaner to choose from. My iron is 6.75 PPM so I have a dedicated iron filter but some iron still gets into the softener so I use salt with citric acid to maintain the resin.

Reach4

Reaction score
In treating resin, there is a batch process where you try to clean up the resin periodically, and there are methods where you add something with each salt dose. For dosing each time, there are systems that use a wick to dose a weak phosphoric acid solution into the brine. Rescare and Res-Up...

For citric acid, you can buy the powder , and dose you own salt, by mixing the citric acid into the salt as you add the salt.

The iron-fighting salts have a fairly low dose of citric acid.

I will agree that citric acid smells better than IO. IO is more effective I think.

JackJ59

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback! My 2 questions were whether my level was high enough to merit addressing it with a filter, and whether not having one decreases the lifespan of the softener/resin. It appears that the answer is yes to both.
I've been using Diamond Crystal Iron Fighter softener salt to help address the problem; it has citric acid, which some are referencing for using to clean the resin. So, I guess it's been helping. And I imagine(?) that it's what has allowed my Iron #'s to be what they are, though I'll go ahead and get the Iron Curtain, and will read through the info on cleaning my softener resin, too.

One last question: with the Iron Curtain, should I continue to use the Iron Fighter softener salt? Or, depending upon what the level is (I presume/hope it will be very low)? It's not a lot more expensive than the non-Iron Fighter, but a bit more. And, should I still be concerned with cleaning the softener resin? Is it done on a regular basis, or after testing its ability to function properly? Fwiw, my softener is 6 years old, using the Iron Fighter salt, but no cleaning/reconditioning of the resin.

Thanks again!

Reach4

Reaction score
We have not studied Iron Curtain. Try to learn what you are buying.-- what media to start. So AIO with BIRM, AIO with Katalox Light, Filox, greensand and on and on.

Many people put in iron filters, and for various reasons they use too little backwash gpm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks