Iron filter for whole house including irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

braap736

Reaction score
Currently I only have a 1.5 cuft water softener with a 5600sxt control valve for everything but the outside spigots. This has worked pretty good for the inside of the house but we still get iron leak through noticed by staining and the metallic blood taste in the water. On occasion we have gotten that rotten egg smell real bad but bleaching the well has remedied that. I'd like to put a backwashing iron filter in ahead of the softener to take care of our iron issues for the inside of the house but I also want to iron filter the outside spigots as well to avoid the smell/taste and staining on our concrete.
Our water test from the county:
Iron .6ppm
Total hardness 342ppm
PH 7.0

I have measured 10gpm well pump output at a service spigot in the basement right where this iron filter would go. It would be plumbed with 1" pex.
The iron filter I want to use is a fleck 2510sxt with 2.0 cuft of katalox light media.
My main concern with all this is not reducing flow to my outside spigots while still filtering the iron. I have 1" pex from my pressure tank servicing all 3 of my outdoor spigots for max gpm as I have high gpm requirements for power washing equipment. I've done a lot of research on this (mostly on this forum and really appreciate all of the info provided here) and it seems that a 2.0 cuft katalox light filter has a sfr of around 8-10 gpm. So I know its capable of providing close to 10gpm flow to my outdoor spigots but if I'm only able to supply 10gpm to the inlet wouldn't it be safe to say that I'm going to lose some gpm flow going through the filter?

Sorry for the long post but just to sum it up, what is a good estimate of gpm loss running 10gpm into a 2.0 cuft katalox light media? Thank you for any replies and hopefully other people with similar concerns will benefit.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
We need to see a real, up to date complete water report in order to be able to even begin to guide you on a proper treatment method. Obviously, the softener is inadequate and improper since you are getting iron bleed by...

braap736

Reaction score
I have attached the lab report. I also ordered and finally received a hach iron and hardness test kit ha-77. Last night I tested at a untreated spigot and found 23 GPG hardness (393.3 mg/l) and iron level of .7 mg/l so pretty similar to the lab results but I just wanted to verify. I checked the softener settings last night and it had 20 GPG set for total hardness (I paid a softener guy to set this up but he has no interest in coming back because he doesn't deal with "iron issues"). I changed that setting to 26 to compensate for the .7 iron level along with a little bit harder water than the lab test showed. Thanks for the help

braap736

Reaction score
I don't think my attachments loaded in my last post so hopefully this works

1705600504697.png

1705600530239.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks