Washing machine drain backed up .. Stumped

Users who are viewing this thread

J Blow

Reaction score
Installed a washing machine in as pretty typical fashion 10 years ago and had no problems until yesterday when it stopped draining. Pulled the machine out and it's clearly the drain as the line to machine is clear and water is standing to the top of the pipe where the drain hose enters.

I can get a 25 foot snake all the way into the drain line without much effort (short of navigating a trap) and water doesn't move no matter what I do. The laundry is right next to my kitchen and the furthest thing in my house from the main stack. Everything else drains without issue. Pretty Stumped here. Ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id run my 3/8 inch by 75 foot snake Im not a Drain cleanner but Since thats what I have it would be perfect for a 2 inch drain

Reach4

Reaction score
I would probably try a medium Brasscraft drain bladder. It may blow the blockage thru, or water could come out of a vent, or elsewhere, depending on where the blockage is. Another brand may be OK.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I avoid those bladders but used them many times as well . I wouldnt normally just place it in a standpipe as it will fill the vent system up as mentioned.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the drain from the laundry connect to the kitchen sink drain within the 25ft? If so, you say the kitchen drains fine? Indicating that the blockage is between the standpipe and the kitchen sink drain connection and the snake isn't reaching that connection point..

Can you get the snake past the trap? Typically a 1/4 - 3/8" cable will pass through a PVC/ABS trap.. the next hurdle is getting it to drop down the drain rather than going up the vent. Is there a cleanout? I typically have those installed on the vent at or above the height of the machines for easy access. If not, you may want to open up the wall and install one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks