Can I reuse a Washing Machine Standpipe in the basement?

Users who are viewing this thread

The_Optimyst

Reaction score
I'm DIYing a laundry room directly above the old laundry area. The new standpipe would be against an outside wall. So, I'm asking myself, why not just run an inch-and-a-half PVC line hard attached to the washing machine drain hose, and drop it into the standpipe in the basement, just like the washing machine drain pipe hooked over it before? That standpipe has a p-trap, so why not? It's unfinished and prettiness is irrelevant down there.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your washing machine manual will specify the maximum and minimum allowable height of the standpipe relative to the washing machine. That's at least partially to avoid siphoning water out of the washing machine. Pretty sure "below the floor" will be below the minimum standpipe elevation.

Cheers< Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm DIYing a laundry room directly above the old laundry area. The new standpipe would be against an outside wall. So, I'm asking myself, why not just run an inch-and-a-half PVC line hard attached to the washing machine drain hose, and drop it into the standpipe in the basement, just like the washing machine drain pipe hooked over it before?
Sounds good to me. No air gap needed for a washing machine.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
Standpipes are limited to 42" in height (IPC 802.4.3). Pretty sure an 8' long standpipe would be a problem.
I envision that 1.5 inch PVC pipe as an extension drain hose for the WM. The PVC pipe would insert into the under-40-inch tall 2-inch standpipe without a seal. One inch or 1-1/4 pipe could be a good WM drain hose extension.

Most US WMs have a max rise on drain hose of 96 inches above the floor.

The_Optimyst

Reaction score
Standpipes are limited to 42" in height (IPC 802.4.3). Pretty sure an 8' long standpipe would be a problem.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks for the honest answer. The owner's manual specifies the option to run the drain pipe to the 39" height, add an air gap, and then drop to an existing floor drain. I am installing a 2" floor drain under the washing machine running to the septic for the home, but this is a "nice" room with a somewhat decorative tile floor. If I drop this to the floor drain, will it create a puddle as it drains? Can a 2" floor drain take the flow rate of a modern washing machine without creating an unsightly mess?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a major reason would be to follow code, because you want your home to meet minimum building standards perhaps for resale reasons or to pass the home on to someone else you might want to pass on quality just for your own satisfaction.
Your idea I think is ok for a short temporary solution but shoddy as far as permanant

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that extending the WM drain line with PVC is not a code problem.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think he wants to make a 8 foot extention (aprox)of the stanpipe to the next floor

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That would certainly not be good.
I might not be folloing but thats my interpetation , itll work but not the kind of work we call acceptable. Heck Id do just about anything temporary at my own risk

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks