Tub drain leaking at joint

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
Hi All,

Noticed some water stains on the ceiling under two tubs. Investigation and a brand new access hole (thankfully through a linen closet :p) led me to the culprit. The assembly is a Kohler 7213 overflow kit which was installed along w/ the tub it goes with by a licensed plumber about 2.5 years ago. I assume since the assembly can be custom cut to length that he had to glue it himself and it did not come pre-glued. Kohler has a 1 year only warranty on the assembly but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

You can see from the pics where it is leaking.. one drop maybe ever 10 seconds. I assume the best (maybe only) way to fix it is to make a cut before the joint, remove the drain assembly, glue in an extension, and then glue in and install a new drain. I did have a few questions though.

- I'm sure you guys have seen something like this before, but what causes it? He installed the tub in a mortar bed however it let go in a few places. However it does not flex excessively. I know PVC has some give but could it be normal wear and tear?
- If it's an installer problem, should I expect him to offer to fix it no charge? Or reasonably speaking, how would you pros handle? The whole assembly is 140 bucks and not sure if you can get just the drain (or disassemble the cable, though I assume there must be some way)
- This plumber is a good guy, but if things go south, any ideas for how else I could fix it? Everything I've seen (sealer, suck in glue w/ vacuum, clip-on flange) seem like trickery or cheapo quick fixes... but maybe there are some legit leak stoppers out there.

Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• 20180108_165628a.jpg
    20180108_165628a.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 363
  • vlcsnap-2018-01-08-22h25m34s493.jpg
    vlcsnap-2018-01-08-22h25m34s493.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 221

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can cut the PVC, it's standard 1.5" sizing. The shoe can be drilled out using a RamBit and new pipe glued in.
You should be able to reuse what you have there, but to fix the leak, the joint needs to be redone.

Though there is a chance that gooing something over it may do it. I can't say that though, because typically, with the correct tools most plumbers, myself included, would rather do something that you know works. I always have stuff like RamBits with me.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt you can get your plumber to repair it for free after 2.5 years.
If you don't have a RamBit for the job, buying a specialty tool you will never use again is pricey. Then you might ruin the drain set trying to remove the shoe.
You'd be better off removing this drain set and installing a new one, and here you could use your plumber on maybe a reduced fee. Talk to him first, what do you have to lose?

Giantsean

Reaction score
How are those rambits you can get online for like 20 bucks? There is a decent chance I could use it again for something or another with such a standard size. Either way, I imagine the drain piece would have to be removed to drill out right? In that case the cable end must be able to be removed somehow.

Lastly, anyone have any experience w/ these things (see attached pic)? It looks a bit gimmicky but I can see how it could theoretically work for a non-pressurized application.

I am waiting for him to call me back, so let's see.

Attachments

• pvc-pipe-repair-clip-on-seal-150.jpg
    pvc-pipe-repair-clip-on-seal-150.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 231
Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's possible that the leaky connection might have been a check-fit that the plumber forgot to go back and glue up. Sorry, had to stop a cat fight. Anyway, I would unscrew the drain from above, then reach under there with a girl's hammer and see if the shoe will move. If so, you might be able to clean it up and fix it in place by applying glue and resetting the part.

Darnel

Reaction score
Id start with unscrewing the drain up in the tub. From there see if its actually glued. While you have it undone make sure the water isnt actually coming from the shoe n confusing whats leaking. If its stained add some plumbers putty n rescrew the drain in. If not,pull the overflow n replace it. Should be an access panel behind it.

Giantsean

Reaction score
I was thinking that perhaps he failed to glue it too, mostly due to the fact there isn't even a hint of primer on the thing. If that's the case, no way I'm paying him twice lol.

I wish there was an access behind it. This tub was put in during a near-whole house reno, and the access panel got shot down by the boss (it would be smack dab in a hallway). I can still put one in the ceiling under the tub in worst case... I am just happy to be able to get to it through the linen closet at this point.

He will stop by tomorrow.. will let you guys know. Thx again!

Giantsean

Reaction score
Welp, the good news is he fixed it for free.. the bad news is that he used a fernco to do it. There is still a stub left in the event that I want to some day fix it "right" but for now I guess it's fine, and with my nice new access hatch I can check it any time :p BTW it was indeed glued originally. He had mentioned another fix might be marine epoxy, but he thought the fernco was best.

Giantsean

Reaction score
Ok then.. the access hole REALLY does reveal all. The water dripping from the drain was almost insignificant. I went to inspect the fernco while my kid was taking a shower (spraying all over the place like a typical 12 year old will) and it was an absolute deluge. Water dripping in streams from the tub flange, I presume from where the tile meets the tub edge. I kind of thought those flanges were waterproof but apparently not so much. What I can't believe is that it has been leaking like this for two years of showers without the floor rotting away. Could the crazy cold weather caused a shift in the house or something, enough to allow a micro-gap under the tile? Before you ask, the edge where it meets the tub is only grouted, not caulked/sealed. If caulking is a requirement, I guess that's my fix!

But again... holy cow. this thing seems cursed all at once.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it's the overflow that is loose. Make sure the rubber washer is positioned and snug.
Also, a tub spout can leak back into the wall.
The tile is normally caulked where it meets the tub, not grouted.

Giantsean

Reaction score
Yeah it needs a caulking all around, including at the fixtures. The overflow nut needed a little snugging down but it's good... water is coming around the flange from pretty much all sides at this point. It has been an extremely dry winter and that two year old tub has settled... I think is what is making the problem manifest so hard now.

I thought the idea of that flange was to keep water from getting back there, but it is coming through in specific spots (see red circles in pics). Funny though, it is not up and over the top of the flange, but through the bottom in line with where the rubbery softer part rivets on. Is it fair to say it's just leaking straight past the grout and falling straight down? I thought there was something that sealed the flange to the tub itself but I'm wrong plenty :p

Attachments

• 20180111_235122.jpg
    20180111_235122.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 20180111_235114.jpg
    20180111_235114.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 20180111_235214.jpg
    20180111_235214.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 203
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks