Weird things I found when fixing my water heater - please tell me this is okay

Users who are viewing this thread

Aardvark

New Member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
Boise, Idaho
Hi all, I am new to this forum, so please let me know if I need to restructure this post.

A few days ago my 17 year old water heater stopped working after the power tripped. The heater runs on gas so this was probably a coincidence – but I add it in case somebody thinks it’s relevant. After some time on Google and YouTube I decided that it’s probably the thermocouple that was dead (the pilot light would come on but die as soon as I tried to turn the system to normal function). I replaced the thermocouple and this did the trick - the water heater is now working again… But I had to do to some weird things along the way that I would appreciate some feedback on.

Weird thing number one – the water heater’s original thermocouple is 15 inches long. I couldn’t find a 15 inch so I bought an 18 inch, however the diameter of the 18 inch thermocouple was bigger than the mounting bracket, so that didn’t work. I found a 24 inch thermocouple with a narrower diameter. I installed that, and it is working fine. I would really appreciate it if somebody that knows more than we can tell me that the length of the thermocouple doesn’t matter beyond it looking weird that I have a few inches of copper wire in a mess at the base of the water heater.

Weird thing number two –
this is the more concerning issue. Instead of the Thermocouple plugging right into the gas valve assembly it was plugging into the female-end of a sub-assembly. The sub-assembly had one end plugged into the socket where the thermocouple would normally go, but it also had two wires connected to a resistor and then going up to the top of the tank where it connected to a “therm-o-disc”, which in turn was connected to a wire that runs around the top of the tank where the exhaust is. I assume that this is a safety mechanism that disconnects the thermocouple if the temperature at the top of the tank gets too high – causing the gas to be cut off and preventing the system from over-heating. Ideally, I would like to have this safety mechanism in place, BUT… the female end of the sub-assembly is totally stripped and I couldn’t plug the thermocouple into it. So, I circumvented the sub-assembly and plugged the thermocouple directly into the gas valve assembly where the sub-assembly was previously plugging into. I believe that the “therm-o-disc” cut off was an excessive safety measure as a plumber that was here this morning said that he didn’t know what it does and that if he services the tank he would probably remove it. I have attached a bunch of photos. It would be great to hear somebody that knows more than me say “what you did is fine and that therm-o-disc sub assembly is unnecessary". Or “you should fix that stripped part and make sure that the sub-assembly is working, and here is why, and here is how”.

Any insights into either of the weird things would be much appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20240326-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20240326-WA0013.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-20240326-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20240326-WA0015.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20240326-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20240326-WA0010.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20240326-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20240326-WA0011.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-20240326-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20240326-WA0012.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20240326-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20240326-WA0014.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 37
Top
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks