Tub Drain Connection Question (Florida)

Users who are viewing this thread

srdesote

Reaction score
Hi,
I found a leak coming from the drain on my tub where whoever did the previous renovation tried to connect the brass or copper tee to some tubular pvc and never put on a nut. Below are the photos, my home is on a slab and built in 1950. The main sewer line is cast iron. The tub sits on the slab and in the photos you can see the hole cut through the slab to run the drain. The copper lines on either side are the hot and cold water.

IMG_2354.JPGIMG_2356.JPG

The Tee connecting the overflow to the drain is where the leak is and its not hard to see why it's leaking there. Below the tee is the tubular pvc that extends down another 14"-16" or so and then connects into something else. I can't really tell what that is but in the last photo you can see a nut or something where the tubular pvc ends and another type of material begins. The connect between those feels pretty snug atleast.

IMG_2353.PNGIMG_2361.PNG

I'm looking for some ideas on how to fix this without having to the touch the lower portions of the drain piping due to limited access. You can see from the photos where I dug out what I could but its still a very tight space. I figured I'd run it by people with more experience before I started messing with anything.

Are there any good options for connecting the tubular pvc to the existing tub drain/overflow?
Would cutting the flange off the pvc and using a coupling work?

Thanks,
Scott

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
assuming you arent touching below at ptrap . id cut the tubular use a tubular x 1 1/2 pipe shielded coupling and replace the waste and overflow in pvc glue pipe and fittings.

srdesote

Reaction score
Thank you for your Reply Jeff, I went with your advice about the shielded coupling to make the connection. I did replace the drain and overflow as well. The coupling provide just enough flexibility to make connection to the old pvc, it's hard to tell from the photo but the pvc stub coming up was actually at about 5-10 degree angle.