Sink leaking, please help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hlpla

Reaction score
Went to my girlfriend's apartment and noticed her emptying out a bucket of water under her sink. She doesn't want to call a plumber during this quarantine. I usually call my brother to help with this stuff or just get a plumber myself but I'm gonna have to learn how to do this.

I think it's the basket strainer. The pipe is not connected to the upper sink part. I suck at this. I posted pictures.

The lower end of that pipe that's connected to what I think is the trap is also loose. The upper part is obviously what's leaking though.

Thanks for any help.

20200322_174804.jpg

20200322_174818.jpg

20200322_174208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hlpla

Reaction score
Also, the putty I don't think is the problem. It's just literally not connected. Don't know how it happened.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would consider getting a new sink basket and 1-1/2" tailpiece for that.
At the least, a new 1-1/2" slip joint nut with basket washer and a new tailpiece.

sink-replacement-terrylove-4.jpg

sink_baffle_tee_left.jpg

sink-basket-bottom.jpg

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Sink tail piece that needs to be replaced and possibly the nut. Will need two CHANNEL LOCK pliers one for the nut the other as a hold back on the nut just above the threads on the sink drain and some penetrating oil for the nut.

channel-lock-pliers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ShelzMike

Reaction score
Other answers are correct. Luckily an easy fix, even for the most novice water worker. One thing that a low of newer DIYers make the mistake of is tightening way too tight. It sort of makes sense, logically, but they are designed well and while you don't want it to be loose but don't assume if there are leaks it is necessarily because it isn't right enough. May be too tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks