Sink Leak Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmwesq

Reaction score
I came home yesterday and my sink started leaking. I went to shut the water off - hot water valve wouldn't budge. Then I went to take the drain apart and the tail in the wall won't come out. Finally, there is a piece that connects from the bottom front of the sink to the drain assembly, and I have never seen this on a sink before. I would pull it out from the sink to thoroughly clean it but it seems a little stuck and before I pull it off I want to make sure it is a piece designed to be removed and reattached. Photos attached.

Attachments

• Sink1.jpeg
    Sink1.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Sink2.jpg
    Sink2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 23

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The stop valves appear to be multi turn sweat/soldered on style.. The stem is likely calcified to the packing nut which is preventing it from budging. I would suggest replacing both with ball / 1/4 turn angle stops.

The trap should be removable from the trap adapter in the wall, but maybe some glue got on it and its stuck. But if that part wasn't leaking, then theres no real need to remove it.

The overflow tube on the underside looks like its sandwiched between the sink and the drain assembly. I've never had to deal with that style, but I would imagine that you could run a tube/pipe cleaner down from the sink to the circular part to clean it out if you really felt you needed to. It likely seals at its top portion with a gasket or silicone once all the surfaces are cleaned up.

Dmwesq

Reaction score
I assume if I am going to try to replace the stop valve that is stuck I would need to shut the water to the whole house, unless this repair can be done with the water still on?

The trap moves in and out so it isn’t glue holding it but it won’t come out. And while that isn’t where the leak was I do find it easier to thoroughly clean parts out when I can remove them.

As to the overflow pipe (I had no idea what it was) there is a ton of grime inside the piece that attaches to the drain which I was hoping to be able to clean out but if it isn’t easy to take off and put back on I may have to find some other way to clean it out.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume if I am going to try to replace the stop valve that is stuck I would need to shut the water to the whole house, unless this repair can be done with the water still on?
Water must be turned off and verifed off prior to cutting any water pipes.

I have no experience with removable overflows so I can not offer much in advice as to how easily its removable. I would be concerned if it broke, that it may not be a part that is readily available to replace.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might have to install a standard strainer that dosent have an integral overflow and then put wye branch below it to fix that but the trap has to be kinda low . the drain is the challenge Ive never seen parts for those either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks