Sewer drain in the garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbingq189

Reaction score
I'm building an addition. Ill be adding a new single car garage and above it will be a bathroom. To tie into the existing sewer which is located right underneath the new single car I would like to add a Wye there and go up with a 3" stack on the back of the garage up to the new bathroom. My question is is it allowed to have a sewer line in the garage and is it allowed to have a clean out as it Penetrates the garage slab?? TIA

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You'll need to check with your local authority. Some areas a garage floor drain is prohibited because of gasoline spills and other chemicals can be introduced in the municipal sewer system. Also gas fumes are heavier than air and a spark can cause a problem. I understand the want for one in snow country, when the car is in the garage full of salty slush it would be nice to wash it away and not have all that water drain on the driveway and freeze. I lived in upstate NY & Illinois for many years and I also wished I had one. If it is not allowed, ask if it can be drained into a dry well which may be a better method.

https://garagetransformed.com/garage-floor-drain/#Check_if_you_need_a_permit

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I do not see anything wrong with having a clean at the base of a leader or waste or soil stack.

As a matter of fact, NYC code requires it

As far as a floor drain that you have to ask HJA about it as NYC did alow a floor drain in a garage.

If you cannot is it possible to give the garage floor a slight pitch so water can seep out of the entrance?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks