Plumbing Vent AAV?

Users who are viewing this thread

CJ Courtney

Reaction score
Guys I’m building my own small retirement house 1000sq ft. It’s one bathroom with shower, laundry rm and kitchen. The so called plumber 1 1/2 drain/vent pipe. We are on a septic tank which is about 20’ away from house. I have three 1 1/2 pipes that’s stub up which 1-kitchen sink, no dishwasher, 1- Laundry rm and 1- for bathroom which is sink, toilet, and shower.
Our roof is metal so was wondering if I can install AAV’s for all three stubs and not have to penetrate roof at all? Do have a gable end that I could run vent through if that would be better. This build is out in country so no inspections but I would like to try keep it to some kind code if possible. Thanks, I’m no plumber as you can tell

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you can use aav vents all you want providing at least one real vent goes to outside air.

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
AAVs only allow air to enter the DWV system. As a column of water travels down the drain, there is a pressure in front of it, therefore, the air goes out the vent. Behind it is a vacuum, the AAV then opens to pull air in. Outside vents also allows any sewer gas from building up.

International Plumbing Code 2012​

Chapter 9 Vents​

Section 903 Vent Terminals​

903.5 Location of vent terminal.
An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, and any such vent terminal shall not be within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of such an opening unless it is 3 feet (914 mm) or more above the top of such opening.

903.6 Extension through the wall.
Vent terminals extending through the wall shall terminate at a point not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) from a lot line and not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) above average ground level. Vent terminals shall not terminate under the overhang of a structure with soffit vents. Side wall vent terminals shall be protected to prevent birds or rodents from entering or blocking the vent opening.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Metal roofs have great neoprene flashings to seal up vent penetrations. I installed a metal roof on my parents home 20yrs ago and they're all still leak free. Installed 2 solo tubes and flashed around a swamp cooler and wood chimney too. Easy peasy. Just make sure to get the vent to the flattest part of the metal roof so the seal remains flat.