PEX-A and spinnning fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

GEWaterSoftenerDude

Reaction score
I recently had a plumber update my well expansion tank since it was leaking. I'm on some fairly corrosive water and my plumber reused my brass tee fitting that was there. I explained that I wanted it really easy with unions to to the tee so I can easily replace this myself. He used PEX-A expansion to a 1" MNPT that goes into the tee.

It turns out the brass tee was corroded because it has some micro pinholes on it due to the corrosive water and had some lime powder showing along with some tiny drips from the pin holes not long after he installed it. I ordered a stainless steel tee and fittings myself and I want to replace the well tee with this new stuff myself. My plumber had stated that the fittings can spin in the PEX-A and I should be able to just spin off the ends to the tee and spin on the new ones without any problems.

Looking at PEX-A, it makes me wonder if rotating the fitting will weaken the PEX-A and/or cause leaks. I do have a PROPEX Milwaukee tool, so if I do have to replace this, I can. However, if this is a risk, I want to be sure that I have all the PROPEX fittings, etc (My local HD never has this stuff in stock and requires a 36 mile trip to get it).

So the question is, can the MNPT spin in PEX-A expansion without potential leaks or am I just best off reconnecting everything with fresh PEX-A? I'm hoping I can just wrench it off like I was told because that is clearly the easiest and don't have to get some PEX-A stuff with a near 80 mile round trip.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think what you are proposing is to unscrew the MPT thread of the adapter from the tank tee, with the F1960 PEX expansion end of the adapter spinning in the pex. So about 5 turns maybe.
You should have 30 years to think about changing.

lf4521010-2.jpg

I was thinking if I need to change out my pressure tank in the future I would get a tank tee with a union. The PEX would feed in at one end of the tee, and the other end would be plugged or mount the drain valve. Then the elbow on the other end of the PEX feeding feeding the tank tee would swing out once the union was disconnected. So maybe a 90 degree turn, and another 90 degrees of rotation putting it back. The actual teeing of my water is on the way to the pressure tank. The tank tee mainly would act as a manifold for the pressure gauge, pressure switch and drain valve.

I was also thinking of using 1 inch PEX with clamps and the appropriate fittings. My expansion tool is manual, and is hard enough to operate for 3/4 inch pex. The clamps (vs expansion or crimp rings) would make potential disassembly much easier. You can use clamps and associated fittings on PEX A.

Last edited:

GEWaterSoftenerDude

Reaction score
I think what you are proposing is to unscrew the MPT thread of the adapter from the tank tee, with the F1960 PEX expansion end of the adapter spinning in the pex. So about 5 turns maybe.

lf4521010-2.jpg
I'm hoping 5 turns... it may be more... but yes, that is the fitting and thats exactly what I want to do. Is it doable?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its ok in a pinch to get the water back on , Id expect you might be compromising the joint and failure. however if Uponor tells you differant you are all good ! Id like to hear of others routinly do this trick ?

GEWaterSoftenerDude

Reaction score
its ok in a pinch to get the water back on , Id expect you might be compromising the joint and failure. however if Uponor tells you differant you are all good ! Id like to hear of others routinly do this trick ?

Well that was a good idea... I called Uponor tech support and they said "No problem... it shouldn't upset the integrity of the fitting". But like you, I would definitely like to know from others in the field if its been done and works fine and/or any negative problems from it.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Well that was a good idea... I called Uponor tech support and they said "No problem... it shouldn't upset the integrity of the fitting". But like you, I would definitely like to know from others in the field if its been done and works fine and/or any negative problems from it.
I've done it multiple times with no issues. Ideally a union is best but sounds like you should be fine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've done it multiple times with no issues. Ideally a union is best but sounds like you should be fine.
Would have expected uponor would not recomend but evedently its no issue . I would prefer not but i guess Im wrong learn something every day !

GEWaterSoftenerDude

Reaction score
Would have expected uponor would not recomend but evedently its no issue . I would prefer not but i guess Im wrong learn something every day !
Well I have all the parts now to replace it just in case it doesn't work out. I'm gonna dive in on this probably tomorrow. Thanks for all the comments here!

GEWaterSoftenerDude

Reaction score
I was thinking if I need to change out my pressure tank in the future I would get a tank tee with a union. The PEX would feed in at one end of the tee, and the other end would be plugged or mount the drain valve. Then the elbow on the other end of the PEX feeding feeding the tank tee would swing out once the union was disconnected. So maybe a 90 degree turn, and another 90 degrees of rotation putting it back. The actual teeing of my water is on the way to the pressure tank. The tank tee mainly would act as a manifold for the pressure gauge, pressure switch and drain valve.

I was also thinking of using 1 inch PEX with clamps and the appropriate fittings. My expansion tool is manual, and is hard enough to operate for 3/4 inch pex. The clamps (vs expansion or crimp rings) would make potential disassembly much easier. You can use clamps and associated fittings on PEX A.

Thanks @Reach4 ... you have been super helpful to me in several questions I have had. You are invaluable to the community.

Yep... I actually did the the Tee with a union so next time it is a no-brainer. I'm not too worried about the expansion tool as I bought the Milwaukee M12 ProPEX expansion tool and it seems to be able to get in there rather easily...I bought it because I have old copper and I am tired of calling plumbers and paying big bucks... the cost of the tool is the cost of one trip for my plumber, so it was an investment.

But that was a decent idea about the clamps... I actually thought that if it does leak, I could always cut it and do black tubing with clamps to PEX-A, which yes, would be a ton easier on swapping things out.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks