PEX connections is expansion better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber. I see posts about PEX installation and it seems most like expansion type A connections. I am just a handyman type of homeowner but have done complete repipes with PEX. I use crimp and cinch and both have worked well for me and I have multiple tools for doing both.
What is it about expansion that would be considered better? I know professional plumbers in my area and they use mostly cinch type stainless rings.

bingow

Reaction score
DIYer here, to add to your question for the pros. A consideration is future replacement of a fitting, and the ability to get the tool in position. I would think crimp would be easier.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am a plumber but never ran pex except for heat and ran uponnor on a huge job for around 6 monthes I liked the process of Expansion but other wise no real opinion one observation is crimp fittings have significantly smaller id and restrict flow more so than Expansion
I dont even have any tools for pex I suppose I should at least have a crimp tool but never bought one

GReynolds929

Reaction score
A is more flexible and easier to work. Kinks can be removed by heating the kinked section of pipe. Fittings have a larger ID for better flow. Easier to work in tight spaces as you can expand away from the fitting and put on in tight clearances. The pipe and ring is always trying to get back to its original size and tightening on the fittings. Pipe is practically freeze burst proof except for the fittings. Etc...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
however there are complaints of leaks and damage , repiping needed on uponor expansion hard to tell how widespread but there are some unhappy owners

GReynolds929

Reaction score
There is, but it seems to be pretty isolated and restricted to certain batches. In my area Uponor is the primary pex installed and the only issues I've seen is old pipe in high chlorine and pressure areas. It has been very reliable, and we have not had any issues.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Expansion is easier in tight spaces mainly because your don't have to do anything to connect it in place, you expand it, and then put it where it needs to go. No need to put the expander in a tight space. In instances where your cutting something in and it's in a tight space there are some limitations but there's always a solution and the tool is pretty small.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can think of times where expanding is difficult . it is what it is though and generaly I think expansion is what Id prefer although Ive never crimped a single joint

bingow

Reaction score
I installed Viega PEX pipe and crimped fittings 20 years ago, and do not recall terms "A" or "B" ever being used. I assume the pipe is B because of its stiffness. All the Viega crimps, some 100 total, have performed flawlessly, but a couple of added "big box" fittings failed within five years due to dezincification. Replacing those was very difficult and usually involved a PEX splice with new fitting. I wonder if anyone else has dealt with that problem, and what method was used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks