Options for installing a more stylish 4 1/4 rough-in toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Chase DePrize

Reaction score
Hello Folks:
I am looking for advice on what are my "rear-discharge" toilet options to fit a 4 1/4 rough-in. Or, what possible attachments are needed to connect a 7" rough-in to 4 1/4 rough-in?

Attachments

• 20201113_090932.jpg
    20201113_090932.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 225

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at the duravit rear discharge toilets. Do yuou know if you have some gap around the pipe where it goes through the concrete floor. Perhaps the san tee fitting could be cut, a coupler installed and a new san tee brought up to the proper height. I think when we converted a 4 bolt wall hung toilet to a floor mount rear discharge duravit we had 4" pipe out of the wall to attach to.. so adapting to 3" might be harder. Might look at the horizontal adapter that geberit uses for their wall hung toilets to connect to a couple close coupled cast iron 45s.. modified of course.

The below toilet is the duravit darling 2 I believe that we installed to run the drain over the top of attic rafters.. this one wasn't adapted to the purpose that you suggested, but we have done that.

Duravit toilet.jpg

Last edited:

Chase DePrize

Reaction score
Hi:
I caved and just purchased a 4 1/4 American Standard toilet because the 1st new 7" rough-in toilet was 3" (2 3/4) too high. I'm in a condo, so I can't touch the existing pipes.

More issues though. The existing flange stuck out beyond the drywall and the plumber didn't say anything until I gave his finished work a once-over. Now there's a gap between the toilet and drywall. And he wants more money (after quote) because he didn't inquire, initially, if I purchased a floating or floor vanity.

So much for my fancy toilet dreams.
Thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi:
I caved and just purchased a 4 1/4 American Standard toilet because the 1st new 7" rough-in toilet was 3" (2 3/4) too high. I'm in a condo, so I can't touch the existing pipes.

More issues though. The existing flange stuck out beyond the drywall and the plumber didn't say anything until I gave his finished work a once-over. Now there's a gap between the toilet and drywall. And he wants more money (after quote) because he didn't inquire, initially, if I purchased a floating or floor vanity.

So much for my fancy toilet dreams.
Thanks

With proper planning and coordination, all of that was accomplishable. And really you as the homeowner/contractor should have informed and discussed with your plumber of your designs and dimensions for the toilet and the vanity. That is your responsibility.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the floating vanity thing independent of the toilet issue, other than being the same plumber?

Don't you think plumbing for a floating vanity should cost more?