Nibco vs Watts 1/2" ball valve question (copper / sweat)

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
See images. Installing on 1/2" copper that leads outside to hose, and one to the dishwasher. Home currently has old gate valves I am replacing.

The Nibco valve is 2x the size and 2x the weight of the Watts valve. I get they could be slightly different materials (?) but the size and weight difference is very noticeable. Each is lead free (LF). The Watts has "LF" on the body where the Nibco does not - its tag states lead free but nowhere on the unit does it say "LF".

I had planned on the Nibco, but saw the Watts at the local hardware and as they are smaller/lighter wondered if they might possibly be a better choice for this specific application?

Any input on which I should install?
-
IMG_20220718_151248410.jpg

IMG_20220718_151350715.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Both 'good' mfrs. When I was soldering (mostly ProPress now), I liked the distinctively more exposed solder cup as the Nibco has.

Reactions: 150

Reaction score
I went with the beefy Nibco. The Watts heated up way to easily and the flux was boiling on each side of the valve at the same time so I pulled it. Made me wonder what it was made out of. Nibco unit did not do that.

Zayd

Reaction score
I'm reviving this thread as I was at Menards looking to buy several 1" and 3/4" full port ball valves to redo my water setup. While the Nibco was much heavier, the Watts had a more refined casting and the ball machining was also cleaner. The Nibco had an awkward and bumpy opening inside the ball, while the Watts had a clean, straight bore that matched the rest of the valve body. The Watts was made in Mexico, while the Nibco had no indication of place of manufacture anywhere. I was leaning towards the Watts but ultimately left without purchasing.

Asking the folks at Supplyhouse, they say only their Webstone full-port ball valves (a brand made by Nibco) are USA-made. It really shouldn't be this hard to find a quality, USA-made valve.

Fitter30

Reaction score
NF is a certification used in Europe. Valves purchased from plumbing supply houses are still a higher quality. Might have a 600 lb rating.
There are two types of plumbing supply houses one is mainly plumbers the other for pipefitters. They both overlap but if there is is one mainly for fitters they will have piping supplies for process piping.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id use nibco or watts in a heartbeat on a cracker box taj mahal is another story . just kidding but on resedential construction Ill use nibco, watts , proflow from ferguson Im not real picky you can probebly pay double or triple at the most for higher quality 30 bucks maybe for 3/4 instead of around 10 bucks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bigger heavier ones are bronze vs the lighter brass. Bronze is better, but not by much.

Zayd

Reaction score
The bigger heavier ones are bronze vs the lighter brass. Bronze is better, but not by much.

I did not catch that distinction, John -- good point. The Nibco is indeed bronze vs. Watts brass. I wonder if that also accounts for the rougher casting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks