New Toto Promenade Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I posted here awhile ago regarding the need for a good new, round bowl toilet for my very small bathroom going through a period remodel. After reading about the options, I chose the low-end Toto because it sounds like most people here thought the even the most basic Toto was better than other brands.

When the plumber carried the toilet from my garage into the house, the top fell out of the box and shattered and he had to go buy me a replacement, but he was really mad at me for "not packing it right." The box was wide open (I had checked it's condition when it was delivered).

When he installed the toilet two months ago, it worked great for 2 days. I had never had a low-flow toilet before and was really impressed with the flush.

On the third day, it started to run endlessly. I tinkered with it, but couldn't get it to stop. The plumber came back for some other work on my bathroom and he told me that the metal cock and ball system on that toilet was a really bad design, that he had already bent the stem going to the water as much as it would go and that I should take out that whole mechanism and replace it with a plastic flush valve because it could be adjusted and it would be great and last the lifetime of the toilet. $75 later, I had new insides. (I thought that sounded like a lot for an $8 part, but he said it was an hour of labor).

In the meantime, the contractor was working on tiling and flooring and he had to take the toilet out of the room and move it back a few times. (This is my only bathroom.)

After a couple weeks, the flush became really odd and lost almost all power. It starts to flush normally, but about half way through, the new water would flow in, stopping the old flush from going down, so anything that didn't make it down at first would need to be flushed again and again.

I dealt with it like that for 3 weeks until a second plumber came in. (The first one installed two shut off valves to the shower under my house for $175 without asking me first and that really bothered me.) The new plumber said he can't find anything wrong with it and doesn't know what to do.

Now, it's even worse. The new water doesn't come in anymore, it just starts flushing normal and loses steam about halfway through and the water that's there just sits in the bowl and doesn't go down.

I really need to get it fixed because flushing a low-flow toilet 4-5 times to get it to do the job is pointless.

I could get another plumber to take off the tank of the current toilet and replace it back with the replacement toilet's original tank with the cock and ball or somehow get this one working again.

If anyone can help, it would be so much appreciated. Or, if you know a good plumber in Eagle Rock, CA, that would help too.

Thanks!

Jennifer

IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If plumbers have been soldering pipes nearby, they many have left flux in the lines, and that can sometimes plug a fill valve.
If that is the case, the cap can be removed and the fill valve flushed out.

Since the floor guy reinstalled the bowl, there is no telling whether he installed the wax right, or whether one of the workman used the bowl as a garbage can. They do that sometimes do that, rather than deal with the trash the right way.

My cousin one time explained to me how toilets are like disposers, and she went and dumped a bunch of potato's down the toilet and plugged it.
And then she took the brand new tub drain cover that I had installed the day before, and said,

"Look, if these get bent, they wont stay in anymore"

She lifted it out, bent it, and she sure knew what she was talking about,
it didn't fit in anymore, and I had to buy another new one.

The CST723 Promenade works pretty good, not as good as the new CST424SF Promenade with G-Max, but it should be working.
I had the similar CST703 series installed one time, and it worked fine.

You may need to use a closet auger on the bowl now and find out what is in the trapway.

CST723_zoom.jpg

CST723 Promendade

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
looks like the hose from the fill valve is pointing into the tank instead of inside the refill tube ...

Yes it certainly does.
That is the water that refills the bowl to the proper level after a flush. The stream of water should spray down inside the overflow tube.
This will cause the weak flush you are describing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What are those white specs all over things? Did they use the toilet to clean out their thinset buckets when done tiling? That will really clog things up!

Reaction score
Thanks for responses.

Yeah, they took off the top so not to break it and some of the grout or something from the walls dripped into the bottom of the tank (not much though--although sloppy, I doubt hat's what's causing the problem). OK, I pointed the thin tube into the white tube. It does get more water, but the flush is still not working right. I'll go look up what a closet auger is and try that!

Reaction score
Is the cap on the flush valve red? I pulled that off and it's covered with a white piece that doesn't look like it will come off.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Actually the fill valve does not need a overflow tube, the flush valve has a port when the flapper is up it fills the bowl.
You may want to adjust the height of the water in the tank it should be about 1" from the top of the overflow tube, there is a line at the back of the tank.
The more water in the tank the better the flush (it will still only flush 1.6gpf).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks