New Reliance NG Water Heater Not Working

Users who are viewing this thread

Eweneek1

Reaction score
Purchased a Reliance water heater model 6-40-NOCT 400 on 9/13/22. Installed without any problems in a rental unit for a single mom. However, the heater does not work. Problem is the pilot light will light and stay lit, but the gas valve status light never blinks no matter how long you hold the pilot on. Called Reliance and they said to use the reset button which I tried. The button does not work. Called Reliance again and they said it must be the gas valve. They sent a new valve and I installed yesterday. Still have the same problem. Reliance is located in Tennessee and not open on weekends.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Without any LED flashing it indicates that there is no pilot light, yet the pilot remains on. Moving the temp to hot it is assumed the pilot remains on. Is that correct? If yes seems to indicate that the thermocouple is working. However? Do you have a propane torch to place the flame on the thermopile tube? Do check that the pilot flame does make good contact with the thermopile.

However, I'm suspecting the thermal relay is bad or open. Do check the wiring to it. Will need a volt-ohm meter. There are several video's on how to check this switch.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 3.20.05 PM.jpg

Eweneek1

Reaction score
The pilot lights immediately and will stay on as long as I depress the pilot button. Have kept the pilot on for five minutes while depressing, but as soon as released the pilot goes out. So, no way to move to any other setting. Reliance is now sending the complete burner unit which includes the thermopile and thermal cut-off switch. Will test the thermopile with a volt-ohm meter prior to doing the replacement with the new thermopile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks