New Rheem water heater… main burner

Users who are viewing this thread

Shyoumaker

Reaction score
Had a 3yr old Rheem Performance Plus water heater. It began throwing out error code 10 almost once a month over the past 4 months, but would then go back to normal operation after relighting the pilot. Most recently, over the past couple of weeks, it was giving error code 3, but the pilot stayed on. It eventually goes back to normal operation.

Rheem sent out a new control panel. Installed it, but the 3 red light error continued. Rheem authorized a replacement, which was installed yesterday.

At first, all looked good… blue flashing light. An hour or so later, back to 3 red lights. After 4 hours the water temp was warm at best. Overnight, in the morning, it was hot. Here’s what we know…

The heater and all of its components are new. The gas line was replaced 3 years ago, and appears to be fine (no testing has been done on it). The temperature/pressure relief line did have a bit of water in it when the water heater was replaced. The vent is free and clear of any obstruction.

Here is a link to a video showing the main burner trying(?) to light…

Any ideas?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I would call the gas company and tell them you want your gas meter inspected or changed out.... start there first... and its a free service......

We get a few issues like this every so often where an older meter "sticks or locks up" and its just a matter of getting a new one...... In the winter normally the furnace sucks all the gas out of the line and the heater is starved out....and does things like you are experiencing

good luck

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I've seen that also where a house is up a hill and gas pipe follows up to the house from a meter at street level. Our natural gas can have moisture in it and that moisture can collect at any low point and fill up most of the pipe and it impacts the pipe's capacity. There are a few tricky ways to get the water out. It is shocking to see how much water can be in the gas pipe.

Shyoumaker

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We’ll take a look at the gas line coming in from outside, and if needed call the gas company.

Am I correct in assuming that the main burner in the water heater should ignite and stay lit until the water is up to temperature? As seen the video I linked, it appears the burner is trying to light but keeps going out.

Is that what you see?

Thanks again for all your help.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Thanks guys. We’ll take a look at the gas line coming in from outside, and if needed call the gas company.

Am I correct in assuming that the main burner in the water heater should ignite and stay lit until the water is up to temperature? As seen the video I linked, it appears the burner is trying to light but keeps going out.

Is that what you see?

Thanks again for all your help.

You are trying to figure out something that is not in your league and in your mind you think that you are gonna prove you are some kind of "Mr Fix it" to your wife and kids...
You are probably gonna make things worse if you fiddle around with the gas lines
and you family is going to start to think that you are a complete boob..like Joe Biden...........

Please Just all the gas company and stop trying to figure this out yourself.
It takes them about 5 minutes to change the meter if needed...

Fitter30

Reaction score
Looks like the flue problem not drafting correctly. Look at the plastic gromlets on the two water pipes on either side of the flue at the top of heater. If deformed there's a drafting problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks