Need help with temporary solution for leak

Users who are viewing this thread

JDCrae

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I have used this forum for years for advice etc, but just now have become a member. Am hopeful someone will have some advice for me.

Our bathroom has a leak from the shower. Its a corner stall shower with aluminum extrusion frame and glass panels. From the looks of it, we have multiple leaks, mostly where the frame is sealed to the tiled curb, but also where the "plastic" seals are between the aluminum and the glass.

We are not in the position financially to redo the bathroom right now. By March we will have the funds to completely redo the bathroom and get rid of this god forsaken corner shower. (I'm 6'1 and 280lbs, and am sick and tired of bumping into walls turning around) It is badly configured, and based on materials was "redone" in the late 80's (1967 built home). The layout is poor and not user friendly.

Need some advice as the best method for sealing the leaking areas to hold things off for a few months. This is the first bathroom I have ever had that used these aluminum frame glass panels and doors, so I don't know much about them, what caulk product will stick to them etc. We have another bathroom we can use for a few days to let this one dry out for temporary leak fixing, but will need to use this one after that. Even considered removing the glass panels entirely and finding a 90 degree curved rod and shower curtain to use for now. Don't want to throw a whole lot of money at the temporary fix, as we would rather save that money for the full renovation.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could put up a shower curtain rod to dangle a shower curtain just above the inside of the shower door, but extending to the walls. Select a height that lets the shower curtain bottom be lower than the curb. It will be effective, not pretty.

You can just use a "shower curtain liner". Standard length is 72 inches, but longer ones, such as 84 and 96 inches, are readily available.

Last edited:

JDCrae

Reaction score
My chief concern was the little research I had done about these kinds of enclosures, is that apparently you are not supposed to caulk the inside, only the outside. Seems strange as one would think I would want to stop water at the origin, but it seems some of these are made to drain water through the built in channels somehow. Don't want to make the problem worse. It has dried out over the past few days, so I will try the silicone on the outside first, then revert to a shower curtain liner if plan A doesn't work. Thanks for the help all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks