Need Assistance Identifying/Repairing Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel F Murphy

Reaction score
Hello!

The house we moved into has a softener setup. I'm learning about water softener systems and doing a lot of online research, and I'm beginning to think this system might be a bit odd. I could use help identifying a part of it and would welcome recommendations on fixing it.

First off there are two tall tanks and a brine tank. There is a what I believe to be a mineral tank with a Pentair 5600SE controller on it. This seems to be correct. It has supply going in, soft water coming out, a hose to the brine tank and a waste hose. All good.

Where I get confused is that inline before the mineral tank there is another tall tank with another 5600SE controller. However there is no connection to the brine tank on this one. I'm ASSUMING this is a charcoal tank/filter but I really have no idea. And if it is why does it have a controller on it? Wouldn't it just be a "passive" tank?

I should mention that the controller on the mystery tank is dead. Will not power on, and hasn't for some time. Also they are being powered by an extension cord plugged into a power strip across the room. I will be wiring this correctly soon.

So I guess my biggest question is what is that first tank with the dead controller for? Should it even have a controller at all? Is this a common setup?

I've attached some pics.

Thanks in advance for your help!
IMG_20200403_102756.jpg
IMG_20200403_102819.jpg
MVIMG_20200423_164454.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
Appears to be Fleck 5600SXT.

Is your water source a private well or municipal?

The removable plug at the dome curve suggests that a consumable media is contained, such as Calcite to correct an acidic water condition. A tank with a removable plug is often utilized for calcite as it makes adding additional media easier when the media in the tank becomes low.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Where I get confused is that inline before the mineral tank there is another tall tank with another 5600SE controller. However there is no connection to the brine tank on this one. I'm ASSUMING this is a charcoal tank/filter but I really have no idea. And if it is why does it have a controller on it? Wouldn't it just be a "passive" tank?
That would backwash on a schedule.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Shine a light behind the tank while the area is dark to attempt to view the height of the media through the tank. If it hasn't been back washed for some time, it may have settled and compacted to a large mass of 'concrete'.

You could also shut off water flow and relieve system pressure by opening a faucet downstream before removing the plug to attempt to obtain a sample of media.

Removing the rear cover from the nonfunctioning control valve may reveal the cause of the malfunction such as a defective electrical connection.