Ice Maker Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

bmillice

Reaction score
Hello all, we are remodeling our home and intending to put a 15" undercabinet ice maker in the area indicated here:

IMG_3116.jpg

The icemaker is a Kitchenaid with a built-in pump and hose, and the instructions say to run the hose into an open drain. The plumber said there was a problem with this plan, but can I not just run the hose through the wall and up into the washing machine pipe behind it or is there a rule about the washing machine drain sharing with something else (the icemaker drain)?

Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
The icemaker is a Kitchenaid with a built-in pump and hose, and the instructions say to run the hose into an open drain. The plumber said there was a problem with this plan, but can I not just run the hose through the wall and up into the washing machine pipe behind it or is there a rule about the washing machine drain sharing with something else (the icemaker drain)?
You can use an air gap intended to share a standpipe with a washing machine and something else.

Is this drain like a drain for people to dump stuff? Maybe it doesn't need an air gap, but the mechanics might be easier if you use an air gap.

Can you run the drain to join a kitchen sink drain like you would a dishwasher?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
By any plumbing code you need an air gap, because germs can't jump. You can will need a receptor and a p-trap to hang the drain over.

bmillice

Reaction score
Thank you James, I did watch that video, but it never shows what the drain goes into. However, this video does, around the 1:44 mark, and it is just an open standpipe.

So, since the washing machine standpipe has a p-trap and an open drain, can I just share that one with the washing machine?

bmillice

Reaction score
You can use an air gap intended to share a standpipe with a washing machine and something else.

Is this drain like a drain for people to dump stuff? Maybe it doesn't need an air gap, but the mechanics might be easier if you use an air gap.

Can you run the drain to join a kitchen sink drain like you would a dishwasher?

No, the kitchen sink is on an island. The drain is for the icemaker.

So I can use the standpipe? Is that what you are saying?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I watched the video a couple times and I don't know what is at the bottom of the pipe that he stuck the hose in. I have worked on many ice makers and I know for a fact that all ice maker drains and all plumbing codes require an "air gap" not an "air break" for health risk reasons.
I have installed above floor drains for ice makers by installing a p-trap and putting a 4" x 2" reducer on that for a receptor.
If you don't want contaminated ice then install an air gap.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, I am not sure what an open site drain is - I thought a standpipe was an open drain.

So would this air gap work if I were to use that standpipe? Put this in the top of the pipe? So that if the pipe backs up it won't reach the icemaker drain line?

I like that idea and it fulfills the air gap requirement, I'm just not sure if your code will allow you to attach to a laundry stand pipe, or if you have to have a dedicated drain, you'll have to check with your local people. You might want to watch when you do laundry to see if any excess soap bubble are making there way out of the stand pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maymay6

Reaction score
Hello all, we are remodeling our home and intending to put a 15" undercabinet ice maker in the area indicated here:

IMG_3116.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I've seen the film a few times, but I have no idea what is in the pipe at the bottom where he inserted the hose.
Since I've worked on so many ice makers, I can say with absolute certainty that all ice machine drains and plumbing rules call for a "air gap" rather than a "air break" due to health risks.

By building a p-trap and adding a 4" x 2" reducer as a receptor, I have created above-floor drains for ice makers.
Install an air gap if you don't want tainted ice.
So, if I were to use that standpipe, would this air gap still function?
Place this in the pipe's top?
So that the icemaker drain line won't be affected if the pipe backs up?
https://www.amazon.com/Plumb-Pak-PP855-69-Standpipes-Grey/dp/B00FKJNVAC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks