How do reverse osmosis membranes fail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
I've been using a 75 GPD RO system for about 15 years. I've never had a membrane fail. I replaced the RO filter once; not because it needed to be replaced, but just because I thought maybe I should. I didn't notice any difference after replacement. I check TDS once or twice a year and it is about 10 times lower than inlet TDS. So my question is how do they fail? Does their productivity drop off? Does the TDS all of the sudden become elevated?

Thank you in advance.

Bannerman

Reaction score
TDS rejection will become lower thereby causing higher TDS in the product water (permeate).

The typical membrane replacement interval for most residential under counter drinking water systems is 3-5 years.

Beets

Reaction score
@Bannerman - Thank you. Mine is hydrotech. Not sure if that is a good brand or not? How high would the TDS get before someone would proactively replace? I'm curious why the TDS increases? My understanding of RO filter is that it is sort of like a molecular sieve that filters out the larger salt particles. Maybe that's wrong - I'm curious why it would let through more with time? Normally filters plug off, so I think I've got the wrong idea of what an RO filter is doing?

Bannerman

Reaction score
RO membrane is similar to attempting to force water through a plastic bag. The pore size is approx. 0.001 microns which is usually large enough for only water to pass through, but too small for larger molicules including bacteria, cysts and minerals.

The membrane is not considered a filter as it does not function to collect and hold filtered contaminants, but rejected contaminants must be flushed away on a continual basis. This is the purpose for water continually flowing to drain while the unit is producing RO water.

When flushing is inadequate, then the ppm of rejected dissolved solids attempting to pass through the membrane will become too great which depending on the composition of the contaminants, can block the membrane, or overwhelm the membrane, thereby increasing TDS within the product water.

I anticipate due to the extremely small pore size, water continually passing through over time will cause each pore to become worn and enlarged, thereby permiting smaller unwanted contaminants to also pass through.

There is no standard TDS ppm amount to determine when to replace the membrane. You will need to consider the composition of the raw water to determine the contaminants you desire to be eliminated and also consider your tolerance for some percentage of those contaminants to remain within your water.

While a TDS meter will not indicate which specific contaminants represents the TDS in the RO water, most users when deciding when to replace the membrane, generally consider the percentage of TDS reduction differential between the raw and product water will represent that percentage of all contaminants within the raw water.

If a new membrane results in 96% TDS rejection, depending on the contaminants to be eliminated, some users might decide to replace the membrane when rejection drops to 90% whereas another user with different contaminants might decide to replace at 85% rejection.

Not all contaminants are necessarily removed by the RO membrane. Because the best performing and most common membrane, TFT has low tolerance to oxidizing chemicals such as chlorine, one or more carbon filters will be utilized to remove chlorine and other chemicals prior to the membrane. With no exposure to a chemical sanitizing agent, biofouling on the membrane can occur over time, thereby reducing production volume, increasing the volume of rejection flow to drain and increasing the potential for bacteria to pass through the membrane into the RO water.

Sanitizing the entire system and sanitary practices while occaisionally replacing the membrae will reduce the potential for bacteria problems.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks