Help me build a washer hose shut-off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
Follow-up on my earlier thread

I'd like to build my own shut-off valves because the standard kits you get at HD don't really work for my setup.

Can someone provide a link to components I can use to build a shut-off valve for washing machine hoses? I'm having a hard time finding something that meets the following requirements:
  • lead-free
  • GHT thread on one end
  • Ftg or press end on the other end
  • valve meets ASME A112.4.14
I thought I could use https://www.supplyhouse.com/Raven-34BDBTR-NL-3-4-Press-Fit-Boiler-Drain, but manufacturer won't make any claims about ASME compliance (good luck finding their website! trick question…there are 3 of them). Does someone have access to that standard? Only ratings I could get out of them were 125 psi and 200 ºF.

I found this too https://www.supplyhouse.com/Webstone-40313W-3-4-Female-x-Hose-Full-Port-Ball-Valve-Lead-Free but again zero mention of ASME A112.4.14 (and pricey). Anyone have access to this standard?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
In my state, if you want code complaint products you go to a legitimate plumbing supply, the state requires them to sell products that are compliant, they can be fined otherwise.

Trying to figure out every detail and it's compliance for something this simple would be insanity, everything from wall thickness, alloy composition, threading, inside & outside diameter, handle size & shape are subject to local and federal regulation, and then a lot of the referenced Fed guidelines like CISPI, ASME, NFPA, and more, information requires paid subscriptions, and then, the written information is a labyrinth of hundreds of pages written in "legalese".

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Arrowhead is local So Cal company that and Champion sprinkler valves were all you saw here for the 40 something years I lived here they really owned this market I liked them and the Iconic logo . but imports run amuck now not that they were insanely great but they were pretty darn good, arrowhead been liking a Proflow from Fergusons sort of a knock off on standard bibs.
To each their own I like the look and think that ABP ball valve bib would be fine up to you on the 50 dollar price tag. Personally I'd trust a regular arrowhead hosebib , which I've put many hundreds of on but not for washing machines just for front and rear hosebibs on almost every single house I plumbed.
The Raven Bib might be ok I'm sure not keen on press fitting but if you have to change it in a decade or 2 or 3 so be it. I'd rather have threaded

I understand you want to be legal but if its leadfree and a good brand like Arrowhead I'd feel good about using them.

DKH53

Reaction score
Soooo does anyone have access to ASME A112.4.14?
I do! Like many ASME standards this gives a list of test conditions to qualify the valve. Tests require lab equipment, NIST traceable calibrated gauges, and certifications from all the part and material suppliers. Once you report the results there is a fee of probably a few thousand dollars to get your valve certified.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
I do! Like many ASME standards this gives a list of test conditions to qualify the valve. Tests require lab equipment, NIST traceable calibrated gauges, and certifications from all the part and material suppliers. Once you report the results there is a fee of probably a few thousand dollars to get your valve certified.
Do those conditions include anything about pressure and temperature ratings? No pipe valve on the planet specifies compliance with this standard.
In my state, if you want code complaint products you go to a legitimate plumbing supply, the state requires them to sell products that are compliant, they can be fined otherwise.

Trying to figure out every detail and it's compliance for something this simple would be insanity, everything from wall thickness, alloy composition, threading, inside & outside diameter, handle size & shape are subject to local and federal regulation, and then a lot of the referenced Fed guidelines like CISPI, ASME, NFPA, and more, information requires paid subscriptions, and then, the written information is a labyrinth of hundreds of pages written in "legalese".
Ferguson is as legit as they come and still sells this thing on their website, which is going to be compliant in zero places in this country: https://www.ferguson.com/product/de...393/_/R-2493055?fromplp=true&trackSignal=true

They also have plenty of leaded products which are equally illegal for any residential supply lines in this state and have been for years (and I doubt anyone is going to be installing ball valves or sillcocks on DWV pipes).

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Do those conditions include anything about pressure and temperature ratings? No pipe on the planet specifies compliance with this standard.

Ferguson is as legit as they come and still sells this thing on their website, which is going to be compliant in zero places in this country: https://www.ferguson.com/product/de...393/_/R-2493055?fromplp=true&trackSignal=true

They also have plenty of leaded products which are equally illegal for any residential supply lines in this state and have been for years (and I doubt anyone is going to be installing ball valves or sillcocks on DWV pipes).

Brick n' mortar Ferguson won't sell any sched 15/20 traps in my state, they're not legal here.

Here anyone selling illegal plumbing fixtures can be fined....the internet is a whole new ball O wax.

DKH53

Reaction score
Do those conditions include anything about pressure and temperature ratings? No pipe on the planet specifies compliance with this standard.

The ASME standard is for 1/4 turn ball valves with a minimum pressure rating of 125 PSI. It is not for pipe. It gives minimum continuous temperature and de-rates pressure based on higher intermittent temperatures dependent on valve materials and construction. That is a few lines in several pages of the standard.

Standards are convoluted. Plenty of valves out there claim to be NSF/ANSI 61 compliant. It could be ANSI 61 qualification requires this one so nobody specifies the ASME standard because it is redundant. If you are worried about it I would talk to your local plumbing inspector, that is the authority on what is allowed and what is not.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
It is not for pipe
Sorry, middle of the night typo. Meant valve.

The ASME standard is for 1/4 turn ball valves with a minimum pressure rating of 125 PSI
Sweet, so this meets that. What about temperatures?

Nibco line of valves specifying ASME A112.4.14 compliance
Ah I remember seeing these. Good luck finding anyone who stocks them. Liberty supply apparently does, at the sweet price of over $100 a pop.

Milwaukee valves stating compliance
First one of those is not usable for potable applications (which a washer supply line is), second one is 1"…lol. And I'm trying to stay away from pex for the other two.

So I was wrong, these valves do exist, but are rather hard to find in brass for use with potable copper fittings at reasonable supply line sizes specifically, especially if you aren't looking to blow $125 on a single shut-off valve.

Reach4

Reaction score

DKH53

Reaction score
Sweet, so this meets that. What about temperatures?
Valves are either certified ASME A112.4.14 by the manufacturer or they are not. You can't pick and choose a few lines in a specification and decide the valve should meet that spec.

You might be looking for a unicorn, a potable water solution with certification at the price of cheap brass boiler drain that has lead and zinc in it and the manufacturer cut costs by not certifying it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Valves are either certified ASME A112.4.14 by the manufacturer or they are not. You can't pick and choose a few lines in a specification and decide the valve should meet that spec.

You might be looking for a unicorn, a potable water solution with certification at the price of cheap brass boiler drain that has lead and zinc in it and the manufacturer cut costs by not certifying it.
Yep it dosent matter how well its made or out of what material what matters is if its certified cheap or not you can cast or machine it yourself but its not a legal solution. And it seems that dirty jerz does care so id look for it as certified

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks