Help Convincing Inspectors They Are Wrong About Code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Messages
4,455
Reaction score
1,564
Points
113
I'm 99% certain I know which inspector you had.. I'll keep that to myself. I've also had the conversation with him about his assumption about how many projects get inspected which he thinks is 70% un-inspected.

It sounds like you have a HG exposed shower pipe system, which if you quickly look, looks like a 2 handle mixer but in reality is a thermostatic mixing valve on the right and a volume control on the left.

The location of the controls is something we plan out from the start of a project because this does come up with inpsections. One way we have had to deal with it is to simply install a shower rod and curtain, get the inspection and allow the homeowner to install whatever they want after we are done.. wink wink nudge nudge..
 

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Messages
9,595
Reaction score
2,420
Points
113
Location
92346
The other way is say screw Permits and beuracracy Im the king of my Castle!, Ive had good and bad, Ive had inspectors go to the wrong house in Los Angeles twice in a row and get all pissy telling us we werent on site we had the card hanging in plain view he went one or 2 houses away and had a real bad attitude when he finally found the place the third time, how the hell does he think the contractor feels hanging out, babysitting a job for three days waiting for some dumbass to sign a card ( of cource we arent getting paid hourly waiting for him) we called manty times building department . Thats just one case I had
Hell yea 70 percent dont pull permits and the other 30 percent that do just dont know any better LOL.
Good Idea on shower curtain Tuttles! its often waiting for glass anyway .
 

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Messages
4,540
Reaction score
1,440
Points
113
Location
Iowa
I just had an inspector ask for an underground dwv system test for the first time (with this particular inspector) we weren't planning on testing becuse he never asks. It took an extra day to get the test ready and for him to come out... Here's the end, he never looked at the test. He came out looked at the piping and signed off having not looked at the water level.
 

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Messages
4,455
Reaction score
1,564
Points
113
The other way is say screw Permits and beuracracy Im the king of my Castle!, Ive had good and bad, Ive had inspectors go to the wrong house in Los Angeles twice in a row and get all pissy telling us we werent on site we had the card hanging in plain view he went one or 2 houses away and had a real bad attitude when he finally found the place the third time, how the hell does he think the contractor feels hanging out, babysitting a job for three days waiting for some dumbass to sign a card ( of cource we arent getting paid hourly waiting for him) we called manty times building department . Thats just one case I had
Hell yea 70 percent dont pull permits and the other 30 percent that do just dont know any better LOL.
Good Idea on shower curtain Tuttles! its often waiting for glass anyway .
I had a similar issue. I ended up calling the Seattle Chief inspector and leaving a voice mail complaining about the inspector not showing up for 3 days straight.. That inspector was filling in for the chief that day.. We had a nice conversation in his office where he signed the permit without looking over the work.
 

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Messages
9,595
Reaction score
2,420
Points
113
Location
92346
I had a similar issue. I ended up calling the Seattle Chief inspector and leaving a voice mail complaining about the inspector not showing up for 3 days straight.. That inspector was filling in for the chief that day.. We had a nice conversation in his office where he signed the permit without looking over the work.
I can forgive mistakes it happens but admit and dont blame others treat others right
 
Top
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks