GPM for dedicated recirculation line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Monguila

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I read somewhere that the GPM on a dedicated 3/4" return line should not exceed 1 GPM. Is there any validity to that statement? My return line is at 4.7 GPM.

The total length of the line is +- 120 linear feet, connected to NPE210A. 80% of it is a straight shot along the house. Then, into the garage, up, across, and down to the WH. The line originated from a 1/2" pipe but immediately upsized to 3/4 CPVC.

Thank You in advance,

Luis

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The Copper Development Association had a recommendation of 5 ft. per second for hot water.
The Navien recirc pump should be fine for most any loops within the range that they recommend for the internal pump.
The Navien dedicated loop maximum includes supply and return as the total allowable (including fittings) 100' for 1/2" copper and 500' for 3/4" copper.
Head is what affects the GPM as well as diameter, but in your case I wouldn't worry at all.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You generally don't need anywhere near that volume, and could probably use a smaller pump, that could save some on electricity. A smaller pump may take a bit longer to get the line up to temp, but once it's there, less only needs to overcome the radiation losses which, hopefully is small if you've insulated the lines. The pump on mine is all of 13W, and a HP is 746W if I remember correctly. WIth a tankless system, you need enough volume to turn the system on, and that small of a pump like in mine probably would not do it.

As long as your velocity doesn't exceed the Copper Institute's recommendations, you shouldn't erode your pipes and the noise level should be minimal, if you can hear it at all flowing. On a 3/4" line, 8gpm equates to about that 5fps water velocity, but it's only 4gpm in a 1/2" line.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are different ways to do hot water recirculation. A system that runs continually or for long periods should have a low flow rate.

Systems where the recirc only starts after you push a button should be higher flow rate to minimize the wait. Those are most energy efficient, but not instant-- you need to push a button and wait for some number of seconds. Each method conserves water.

A 1/2 inch pipe is better to the lavatory hot, and 3/8 is better still if you are going to wait for the hot to arrive. You cannot share a 3/8 with the tub/shower.

The answer to your initial question is no.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks