Cast Iron Radiator Re-Pipe to Pex Home Runs

Users who are viewing this thread

cshorett

Reaction score
I am preparing to re-pipe my home's early 1900s cast iron radiator system from black iron branch arms to a 1/2" pex-al-pex home run system. The home has 12 radiators - 6 upstairs and 6 downstairs. The boiler is in the basement and the ceiling is now fully exposed, allowing access to riser ends which I plan to use as my tie-in connection for each rad. PAP will run back to a 12-port Caleffi inverted manifold with horizontal runs of varying length but all <65'. I do not plan to zone at this time. Basement heat will be provided via a new mini-split system.

A few questions:
- Planning PAP vs. hePEX given concerns over expansion noise and stretch w/ high temp distribution. Not a lot of providers out there these days w/ Uponor Multicore and Viega Fostapex seemingly off the market. Any product recommendations?
- Zoning upstairs vs. downstairs would be nice, but I've only seen individual loop valves which get spendy and complex w/ 12-ports. Is there a manifold zoning option I should be exploring with two 6-port manifolds instead?

Appreciate any guidance!

HarmonyMathews

Reaction score
I've been through a similar project, and it's quite a task! I went with PAP and didn't experience much noise or stretch issues. For zoning, I'd recommend looking into larger manifolds or separate 6-port manifolds for each floor if you can manage the space and cost. And you can find the best radiators at Radiator Village. Good luck with your project!

Last edited:

acucons

Reaction score
I am preparing to re-pipe my home's early 1900s cast iron radiator system from black iron branch arms to a 1/2" pex-al-pex home run system. The home has 12 radiators - 6 upstairs and 6 downstairs. The boiler is in the basement and the ceiling is now fully exposed, allowing access to riser ends which I plan to use as my tie-in connection for each rad. PAP will run back to a 12-port Caleffi inverted manifold with horizontal runs of varying length but all <65'. I do not plan to zone at this time. Basement heat will be provided via a new mini-split system.

A few questions:
- Planning PAP vs. hePEX given concerns over expansion noise and stretch w/ high temp distribution. Not a lot of providers out there these days w/ Uponor Multicore and Viega Fostapex seemingly off the market. Any product recommendations?
- Zoning upstairs vs. downstairs would be nice, but I've only seen individual loop valves which get spendy and complex w/ 12-ports. Is there a manifold zoning option I should be exploring with two 6-port manifolds instead?

Appreciate any guidance!
I am getting ready to do my 100 year home, almost the same as yours. How did things turn out? What did you learn? Thanks so much for sharing!