Basement under counter sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Len Hardy

Reaction score
The majority of my basement is finished and I am finally getting around to finishing the small kitchen area. When the original work was completed, the plumber set it up for an under counter sump pump. I have attached a picture of the sink outlet (on the left), and the vent and outlet to the sewer (right side of the corner). My question is, how can I tell which of the outlet pipes on the right side is the vent and which is linked to the overhead sewer? Both pipes go up (overhead sewer), and I can't see what they connect to because it's blocked in the ceiling by a joist and drywall.

Image.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Somebody may have a better idea. Suppose you put a light-proof blanket over the pipes. At noon on a bright sunny day, let your eyes dark-adapt. See if one has significantly more light than the other.

I am not sure this will give the right answer.

How about stationing somebody on the roof at a vent who talks into the vent pipe. Or put a radio over the vent. Then listen to the two pipes. I am not as hopeful on that one. The sound could travel through the sewer line too.

Third idea-- more work and maybe messy. Make up something that lets you feed in a garden hose while monitoring the water pressure in the pipe. I am thinking that the maximum head of one will be determined by the rise to the sewer, and no water will come out. Any water will go to the septic tank. The vent line will either let the head rise higher (42 inches above the main floor), or water will drain out of a basement drain somewhere that will go to the new sewer basin eventually.

Last edited: