Outdoor sump pump - freezing?

Users who are viewing this thread

bonedoc

Reaction score
Hi-
Question from an amateur/DIY - we had a sump pump installed at the bottom of a stairwell, to prevent rare basement flooding with torrential rain. What is the best way to deal with winter/freezing temperatures? The pit itself is probably 6-7' below ground level, and the pipe outflow is open/exposed, ultimately connecting with a patio drainage system (see attached pics). My two concerns were water in the pit freezing and water in the pipe freezing. A simple solution might be a temperature regulated outlet, turning the pump off below 35 (?) degrees? But that might be a problem if temperatures quickly rises, before the ice could melt? Another possibility I thought of was some sort of warming cable for the pit (bird bath etc?) and a heat wrap for the pipe?

Is any of that even necessary, or is there a better solution someone can suggest?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8330.jpg
    IMG_8330.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8329.jpg
    IMG_8329.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8331.jpg
    IMG_8331.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 77
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks