Are these wood stains around pipes in the basement ceiling a potential plumbing red flag or issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Moisture meter would check to see if the water continues or happened long ago. Things were wet at some time. Could be the tub overflowed. Could have been a leak in the roof that has been fixed. What is above there?

That pattern with the straight edges in the is odd. It crosses subfloor boards. Not caused by a leak.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like something spilled or overflowed at one time and things got really wet. The water could've come from anywhere and ran along the piping. There's not a really good way to know if there's a leak other than a pressure testing. But that doesn't really seem practical in a home buyer situation. If it's not wet right now there's probably no leak. The only exception would be if there's a leak in a drain somewhere. You could run every plumbing fixture excessively to see if water shows up.

nthpolymath

Reaction score
Thanks all. Good info about how it crosses subfloor boards. Next time I view it, I will try to run all the showers and faucets as a stress test. Invaluable test!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks