Caulking toilet on small mosaic tile

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffNC

Reaction score
Anyone know successful approaches to caulking around the toilet when the floor is a small mosaic like a penny tile? Obvious problem is keeping the caulk from getting into all the little grout joints and looking like a disaster.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
well thats when I hope they opt to grout the w/c in. sure looks better but if you gotta pull it later its a little more work off to scrape it off

Peterson

Reaction score
I wouldn't caulk around the base of the toilet. I'd just leave it alone. If for whatever reason you may have to disconnect the toilet from the floor, it will be a heck of a lot easier.

JeffNC

Reaction score
Well my issue with that is that the caulk is actually an adhesive, and without it you sometimes have to really crank the toilet bolts down to keep it from slipping, which means you're going to risk cracking it, especially with a mosaic floor that might not be perfectly flat.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You just wipe off more caulk than actually stays there. Go slowly, sometimes I use a tool with a rag as a sharp edge to wipe caulk away.

Reach4

Reaction score
When I put my clear Polyseamseal down, I used masking tape on the floor to limit the area with the caulk. I did this largely because I was not practiced shaping or wiping the material.

JeffNC

Reaction score
Ah, clear caulk. That hadn't occurred to me actually. That might help.

But people saying "just wipe off" and "use masking tape" - I don't think have caulked on small mosaic tile before.

Reach4

Reaction score

I don't think pros usually use masking tape for this. I am not a pro.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah, clear caulk. That hadn't occurred to me actually. That might help.

But people saying "just wipe off" and "use masking tape" - I don't think have caulked on small mosaic tile before.
I think I've caulked hundreds of toilets and fixtures with all kinds of tile. Small tile requires a tool with a rag. Use the rag to cover the tool and scrape between the tile. It's one toilet not a big task. You can also wet the rag after the first application and give yourself more time to wipe out the cracks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I've caulked hundreds of toilets and fixtures with all kinds of tile. Small tile requires a tool with a rag. Use the rag to cover the tool and scrape between the tile. It's one toilet not a big task. You can also wet the rag after the first application and give yourself more time to wipe out the cracks.
Yea putty knife or a knife blade not much fun but if its only one toilet I just deal with it. Ill bet you have done this befor LOL!

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
Anyone know successful approaches to caulking around the toilet when the floor is a small mosaic like a penny tile? Obvious problem is keeping the caulk from getting into all the little grout joints and looking like a disaster.
Try putting painters tape around the area you are going to caulk. Also leave the back of the toilet uncaulked so if theres a leak you will see it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks