Users who are viewing this thread

Pacifi

Reaction score
Help please!!

Found a leak in the water supply pipe joint (cpvc to copper), leaking into the interior of wall behind the shower panel.

Please see video of leaking joint here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RtvFQoFV0uG6X5tSGsVSaXjCxsGcshRi

I should add the leak has been stopped. But I am perplexed this happened.

I hope you can see the two pictures besides the video. The shower valve is not braced. The supply pipes are not clamped. Is this a plumbing code issue?

Thanks much!

Attachments

• IMG_5022_Inked_Forum.jpg
    IMG_5022_Inked_Forum.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_5021.JPG
    IMG_5021.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not watch the video. Is the copper threaded, and the CPVC screwed into that? If so, I would cut the CPVC, unscrew that, and screw another CPVC adapter. But this time you will use both quality PTFE tape and a pipe compound that is OK for use with CPVC. You will tighten tight.

As to the order of things, I have an idea that might be OK. I would essentially make it so that I had 2 CPVC stubs pointing down. Make the stubs go down to exactly the same height. I would make a CPVC U out of two elbows and a short section, getting the distance right. Then I would glue both stubs simultaneously. Others may have a better idea. I am not a plumber.

Pacifi

Reaction score
I did not watch the video. Is the copper threaded, and the CPVC screwed into that? If so, I would cut the CPVC, unscrew that, and screw another CPVC adapter. But this time you will use both quality PTFE tape and a pipe compound that is OK for use with CPVC. You will tighten tight.

As to the order of things, I have an idea that might be OK. I would essentially make it so that I had 2 CPVC stubs pointing down. Make the stubs go down to exactly the same height. I would make a CPVC U out of two elbows and a short section, getting the distance right. Then I would glue both stubs simultaneously. Others may have a better idea. I am not a plumber.

Thank you for your response.
The plumber found the joint threading jammed, so he replaced that U section