What did you do today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Suceress

Reaction score
If I didn't have to worry about dogs or other predators killing the ring snake I'd take one in a heartbeat, but transplanting them to this place would probably be too traumatic. Seriously thinking of getting king snakes though.

I'm trying to troubleshoot an electrical issue with the battery backup unit turning off for no apparent reason. I suspect Mom's computer is heating up & overloading it. Happened on an old APC and a brand new one. The power was still on when it shuts off. Although, the wall outlet is janky. It moves around when I remove a plug or plug something in.

I'm getting a second backup to isolate the computer. If it trips and the other one doesn't then I will know it is the computer.

My friend is supposed to come over this morning to help with my bathroom reno. Hoping he doesn't sleep in too late.

bnewland

Reaction score
Do you have the APC software installed on the computer? It's needed to initiate the computer shutdown when the battery backup takes over supplying power in the case of a mains power outage. Without the software, the APC will keep the computer powered on as long as it can. If the batteries in the backup are not charged properly, which happens often over time, they degrade. The batteries are sealed lead-acid. Their water/acid content does deplete over time. The lead also gets crystalized which reduces the surface area that the acid can react to (less voltage). These problems can be overcome, but it's easier and more cost effective to replace the batteries.

There is an easy test for the health of the APC and its' batteries: kill the breaker or unplug the APC from the wall and observe the events of the computer. If the APC's batteries don't take over immediately, which would keep the computer on, the battery health is most likely to blame. You can also use a multi-meter to test the voltage of the battery/batteries in the APC individually, and collectively. Each should be 12v-12.2v. If you are so inclined, you can replace the battery with a 12v car battery. Your experience level will dictate whether this mod is suggested or not.

Suceress

Reaction score
No software installed but our APCs have always kept the computers running without software. Its not an issue of the power going out or battery not being charged. The power is on, APC plugged in, and then it just shuts off. I suspect it is getting overloaded. Either because my mother's computer is overheating or having some sort of electrical issue inside (I recently had to clear out a bunch of roaches from it). The old APC kept shutting off every few days. Got a brand new one, opened it up, connected the battery, charged it, plugged it in, moved all of the stuff over to it from the old APC and it kept everything running when the power went out. But, randomly while power was on it shut off. It only seems to do it while the computer is in use. Its also possible the Starlink modem might be drawing too much from it.
I've ordered another battery backup that I will use for just the modem to see if that isolates the problem. If that APC shuts off then it is the modem. If the other one with the computer shuts off it may be the computer. If the computer one shuts off again, I will move more of the other things over to the other APC to split the load more.

Yesterday I got a lot done on the shower reno but was absolutely exhausted afterward. The cementboards are all cut and put in place, vapor barrier is up behind it, & we did a dry fit of the surround. It is currently taped up there. I will have to take it down so I can put up aquadefense and do taping and thinset. Today I cut the L-bead trim to size to do a test fit on the right side wall and it looks good. I'll post pics in my thread.

Suceress

Reaction score
Today I trimmed the plastic away, lined the tub with plastic to protect from drips. Filled in some holes with hot glue, and then applied Aquadefense to the edges and over the screw holes of the cement board. The tape and thinset can be applied over aquadefense. I also lightly used it on some cracks in the cementboard. The upper back wall one has some hairline cracks running through it. I've found that Aquadefense makes things sturdier. It says it is ready for 2nd coat in an hour but I've found it takes 2 due to the humidity here. So, I'm letting it sit and then will go back and resume. I will probably need another brush. I used a foam one this time and it worked better than the bristle brush but it started to tear in a spot after I snagged it on something.
I also went into the closet and drilled holes for the showerhead and valve (only small ones just to mark where they are). I stuck toothpicks through them so they could be located more easily. I forgot to drill for the tub spout but I will do that after the aquadefense dries.

Suceress

Reaction score
Since my last post I've drilled the pilot hole for the tub spout from the closet, "mudded" the cement board with modified thinset mortar (as per mfr instructions), installed L-bead trim along with the "mud", used a repair kit on the exposed steel on the tub, installed the surround, primed & painted trim, drilled holes for controls & tub spout. Now I need to cut, install, & touch up the trim, drill hole for showerhead (pilot hole is already through the wood on the other side of the wall) install the plumbing, caulk, & wait for it to cure.

I was going to try to do cleanup and buffing today but I'm having a bad day. Can opener broke, toaster broke, air fryer door broke, & I hit myself in the head with the door while opening it. Also kept dropping stuff. So, I decided its one of those eff-it days.

Could be worse. At least I have more mobility back in my left arm. I can't quite get it straight up when raising it above my head, but its getting close.

I hope everyone else is having a better day. It's been so quiet here without Terry. Really missing him.

Suceress

Reaction score
Today was productive even if we only had 3 hours to work. It poured rain on my trim as I was bringing it up from the workshop to the house. My workshop is pretty far from the house. It was only sprinkling when I went down to get it but by the time I was bringing it out to the truck it was coming down hard. Fortunately its all plastic so it was easy to dry off.

Setting up the miter saw stand and getting the miter saw unboxed and on it took awhile. Then was measuring, cutting, & applying adhesive. The smell of the adhesive made my friend feel sick so he wasn't feeling well enough to continue working. The corner trim and horizontal trim were installed with adhesive. Didn't have time to get the brad nailgun out this time.

Purged the PEX lines before hooking up to the valve. The valve is only roughly in place as is the tub spout stub-in. Adhesive takes 48hrs to cure so we are waiting for it to cure before drilling a hole for the shower arm. Once the shower arm is in we can secure everything.

I got my friend some food (I always try to feed him if he helps me out), grabbed some stuff from Walmart, got gas, and am now lying down resting. My body hates me but I'm happy to be one step closer to having a usable shower again.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Today was productive even if we only had 3 hours to work. It poured rain on my trim as I was bringing it up from the workshop to the house. My workshop is pretty far from the house. It was only sprinkling when I went down to get it but by the time I was bringing it out to the truck it was coming down hard. Fortunately its all plastic so it was easy to dry off.

Setting up the miter saw stand and getting the miter saw unboxed and on it took awhile. Then was measuring, cutting, & applying adhesive. The smell of the adhesive made my friend feel sick so he wasn't feeling well enough to continue working. The corner trim and horizontal trim were installed with adhesive. Didn't have time to get the brad nailgun out this time.

Purged the PEX lines before hooking up to the valve. The valve is only roughly in place as is the tub spout stub-in. Adhesive takes 48hrs to cure so we are waiting for it to cure before drilling a hole for the shower arm. Once the shower arm is in we can secure everything.

I got my friend some food (I always try to feed him if he helps me out), grabbed some stuff from Walmart, got gas, and am now lying down resting. My body hates me but I'm happy to be one step closer to having a usable shower again.
Sounds like you're making good progress! That first shower will be very satisfying!

Suceress

Reaction score
Sounds like you're making good progress! That first shower will be very satisfying!
It will be so nice to shower in my own bathroom and not have to go over to my friend's house for it! My friend only has one bathroom so its awkward as no one else feels comfortable going in while I'm showering. I personally don't care if anyone walks in on me but I know they would feel awkward.

I was testing out stuff to use as shims and found something that should work. I will need to make some cuts with the miter saw. With the stand it weighs 70lbs so I will have to see if I'm able to get it set up by myself. My left arm was not cooperating much after some heavy lifting yesterday.

Today I'm taking it easy but may have to go to the store if my mother's RXs are ready.
I also need to figure out how to get the warranty honored on the air fryer that broke. The purchase info is under my mother's account and she was supposed to look it up but she's been too busy playing computer games and watching videos. LOL.

I'm about to take my vitamins and allergy meds.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks