Water Softener hook up problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Kindysmith

Reaction score
I'm trying to hook up my new GE water softener in my new home. I can hook up my SharkBite water softener flex hoses to my new unit just fine, but cannot figure how to attach the hoses to the water softener hook up coming out of my garage wall. There are 2 plastic blue pipes coming out of the wall, but both pipes are capped with a small black cap. No matter what I do I cannot get these caps removed. Do I need to cut the pipes a few inches back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are 2 plastic blue pipes coming out of the wall, but both pipes are capped with a small black cap. No matter what I do I cannot get these caps removed. Do I need to cut the pipes a few inches back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Probably. You might post a photo.

Francisco Gutierrez

Reaction score
I have a dumb question.

I bought a new water softener, I took the old one out so all I had was the two lines sticking out of the wall.
Obviously with the main water line turn off. I wanted to see which line was the supply so I went and turned the main line on and water came out of both line at about the same pressure.

is this normal?

I had some plumbing problems years back where the line comes into the house in the front yard and I hope the guy I hired didn't do something wrong.

I went on and installed the new water softener but right now I have it on by-pass until I find out what is going on.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Thank you

-Francisco

Reach4

Reaction score
I bought a new water softener, I took the old one out so all I had was the two lines sticking out of the wall.
Obviously with the main water line turn off. I wanted to see which line was the supply so I went and turned the main line on and water came out of both line at about the same pressure.

is this normal?
Turn off the valve that feeds the incoming water to the water heater, and try again. The thought is that maybe some fixture lets hot cross over to to cold.