Water Heater PRV leaking after Fire Hydrant Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaron Beatty

Reaction score
Hi,

Overnight, the town water department flushed the fire hydrants on my street. This morning I found that the Pressure Relief Valve on my water heater (Rheem 75-Gallon Gas Standard Tall) has a constant drip - fortunately I have a sensor to alert me that it was wet.

My question is, is normal or common that the flushing of the fire hydrants might cause a PRV to drip, perhaps due to a change in pressure after the flushing, and is this likely to stop after a day or two, or is this likely just be a coincidence and there is an issue with the tank?

Thanks in advance

Aaron

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
common ? I dont know , but sudden pressure changes from large vollumes of water can cause all kinds of stuff like main lines blowing up underground on old piping . but a perfectly good t and p Id say no just buy a new one and change it out is what I would do . i suppose if you hire a contractor and he charges even 200 bucks it kinda sucks But beeing a plumber Its a non event to me changing a t and p valve

Aaron Beatty

Reaction score
common ? I dont know , but sudden pressure changes from large vollumes of water can cause all kinds of stuff like main lines blowing up underground on old piping . but a perfectly good t and p Id say no just buy a new one and change it out is what I would do . i suppose if you hire a contractor and he charges even 200 bucks it kinda sucks But beeing a plumber Its a non event to me changing a t and p valve
I did contact a plumber, just because the water heater is still under warranty. He suggested monitoring it for a few days to see if it stops, and perhaps the pressure regulates after the hydrant flush. He also mentioned that if it doesn't I may need to install an expansion tank. I am capable of replacing the T&P, so perhaps I try that after monitoring for a couple of days, before going down the expansion tank route if that is needed.

With that said, is it normal for a T&P to have to be replaced after only 3 years?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I did contact a plumber, just because the water heater is still under warranty. He suggested monitoring it for a few days to see if it stops, and perhaps the pressure regulates after the hydrant flush. He also mentioned that if it doesn't I may need to install an expansion tank. I am capable of replacing the T&P, so perhaps I try that after monitoring for a couple of days, before going down the expansion tank route if that is needed.

With that said, is it normal for a T&P to have to be replaced after only 3 years?
No but they are a bit finicky they can fail just looking at them Ive had several fail on new installations. On other hand I cant see this causing a good valve to go bad. Try working the valve repeatedly it might clear itself