Venting question - new build

Users who are viewing this thread

David S

Reaction score
Would something like this work for shower vent?

Attachments

• 4B581796-5C8A-4920-8D09-994E38112E0E.jpeg
    4B581796-5C8A-4920-8D09-994E38112E0E.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 86

David S

Reaction score
Would either of these ideas work?

Attachments

• BFC696A8-7C0B-4525-BB8F-642495C471D1.jpeg
    BFC696A8-7C0B-4525-BB8F-642495C471D1.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 89
  • F12AB06D-219F-4162-9B56-95394ED8A9A2.jpeg
    F12AB06D-219F-4162-9B56-95394ED8A9A2.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 88

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want to dry vent the shower trap arm, then the dry vent needs to come off vertically (at most 45 degrees from plumb) and stay vertical until at least 6" above the flood rim. The picture from that old book fails on that last requirement, as I think does your drawing if I'm interpreting it correctly.

However, under the IPC, you can use the lav to wet vent both the WC and the shower, and the lav can join the WC before the shower. So you can just wye your shower drain in to the WC/lav downstream of the wye where the WC/lav join. As long as the resulting shower trap arm (from the trap outlet to that wye) has a total fall of no more than 2" (one pipe diameter), while falling at last 1/4" per foot. Meaning the maximum length is 8', which is only possible with a perfect 1/4" per foot slope.

To reiterate, the shower and WC may not join each other upstream of the lav joining. Since the lav is the wet vent, the fixture drains need to join the lav one at a time.

If you still prefer to dry vent the shower drain, you have to route it under a wall so that your vent takeoff can be vertical and stay vertical.

Cheers, Wayne

David S

Reaction score
If you want to dry vent the shower trap arm, then the dry vent needs to come off vertically (at most 45 degrees from plumb) and stay vertical until at least 6" above the flood rim. The picture from that old book fails on that last requirement, as I think does your drawing if I'm interpreting it correctly.

However, under the IPC, you can use the lav to wet vent both the WC and the shower, and the lav can join the WC before the shower. So you can just wye your shower drain in to the WC/lav downstream of the wye where the WC/lav join. As long as the resulting shower trap arm (from the trap outlet to that wye) has a total fall of no more than 2" (one pipe diameter), while falling at last 1/4" per foot. Meaning the maximum length is 8', which is only possible with a perfect 1/4" per foot slope.

To reiterate, the shower and WC may not join each other upstream of the lav joining. Since the lav is the wet vent, the fixture drains need to join the lav one at a time.

If you still prefer to dry vent the shower drain, you have to route it under a wall so that your vent takeoff can be vertical and stay vertical.

Cheers, Wayne
I understand. I think I would be past 8 ft to join the WC drain downstream of the lav. If I put a santee right under the floor for vent and drain connection can I run the shower drain to trap and from trap towards the wall of the shower into the santee and immediately under the santee use a long 90 to get it going to my main line? All with 1/4 slope of course. Assuming I can run the drain arm a few feet to get to where a wall is so the vent turns vertical where it ties in. Thanks Wayne! Hope that makes sense. I’m almost done and have learned a lot!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks