Venting & drain for new kitchen island sink and a couple of other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

T. Williams

Reaction score
Hello,
Let me begin by saying that I am NOT a plumber. I'm a complete newbie, but I have done some plumbing and recently some extensive reading as to not sound too ignorant with the below questions. I thank everyone in advance who can provide a solution to my questions. Here goes:

We are moving our kitchen sink to a new island location. We are approaching the new design like pics attached.
1. We are going from a double sink to a single bowl and would still like to have our disposal. Is there anything we should prepare for, or is this just as straight forward as it sounds?
2. Our dishwasher will remain in its original location; however the dishwasher drain hose is not long enough to reach the new sink. We could possibly buy an extension (seems easiest), or is it possible to use the old sink drain for this purpose since it is directly behind the dishwasher now. We will be using the water line from our old sink to the dishwasher.
3. The new sink will drain into the main stack about 5-6ft away using a 4"x2" sanitary tee. The 2" pipe will 90 up through the floor behind the new sink cabinet and here we will use a 2"x1-1/2" wye into the back of the new cabinet. Do we need to vent the new sink via an AAV on top of the wye, on a tee in the line exiting the cabinet under the sink (after the p-trap and to the wye), or will the drain vent from the main stack be sufficient enough?
4. The supply lines for the new sink are pretty straight forward. We think we have that down. Everything is on one floor.

I hope I explained well enough to understand. If there are any questions, please send them. One thing I forgot to mention is the order of fixtures draining into the stack. I would have to get that information once I crawl back under the house.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Very much appreciated!

r/
T. Williams

Attachments

• ISLAND SINK INSTALL.jpg
    ISLAND SINK INSTALL.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 55

T. Williams

Reaction score
Thank you community for the post.

Although I haven't received a response, I had to register to post my questions. Registering allowed me access to search similar threads and posts which proved extremely helpful with what we're trying to accomplish.
I now feel confident enough with the info I got from here, that I'm attempting the renovation this weekend. I have approx. 3 days to get it right.

Wish me luck.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks