Toilet dam

Users who are viewing this thread

Myhouse

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a dam for the toilet tank?

I have a 3 GPF toilet and would like to reduce it's water usage. I tried filling up a plastic jug with water and putting it in the tank, but the plastic is too buoyant and it rises up a little and moves around when the tank is emptied, even when the jug is full of water.

I could put steel in it, but then the steel would rust.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can buy flappers that are timed. They can be dialed in anywhere between 1.28 up to about five.

korky-part-100.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, many of those 3g, transition to efficiency toilets were dogs as were the first 1.6g ones. While it won't hurt to try to lower the volume used to flush one, it may not work well. Budget to get a new one. Some of the newest ones can successfully flush with a gallon or less. The down side on those is a smaller water spot...it needs to be able to fully evacuate the entire bowl, so can't have a lot of water sitting in it. Lowering the volume on an older toilet may or may not fully exchange all of the waste.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen a Lot of bricks inside of peoples old toilet tanks back in the day.. seemed to work pretty good.

Here is a modern version designed for the purpose Drop a Brick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks