Texas plumbing help-failed inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

Gtperez

Reaction score
I failed my plumbing inspection today because I used a sanitary tee. The only explanation that I received is "4" double sanitary tee cannot be used underneath. Used approved fitting". I have attached a photo of my work (no, I am not a licensed plumber). Can anyone help me?

Home plumbing.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Gtperez

Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2" PVC pipe close to the kitchen sink. The inspector only dinged me for the sanitary tee.

Gtperez

Reaction score
Not to oversimplify it but if I replace my current sanitary tee with one of these, it would be ok?

1654020198525.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Charlotte doesn't show those in 4", only up to 3".

The correct changes:

- Change double san-tee to double wye
- Change WC san-tee on its back to combo
- Move kitchen sink to join below double wye

Just because the inspector missed the last two doesn't mean they're correct or that you couldn't be called on them in the future.

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Double wye for back to back toilets. The video above was installed with a double fixture fitting, which still allows waste and water to skip across to the other side and lower the water level in the opposite bowl.

back_to_back.jpg

back_to_back_kohler.jpg

Last edited:

Gtperez

Reaction score
I only have one toilet, the other side is going to the washing machine drain.
Charlotte doesn't show those in 4", only up to 3".

The correct changes:

- Change double san-tee to double wye
- Change WC san-tee on its back to combo
- Move kitchen sink to join below double wye

Just because the inspector missed the last two doesn't mean they're correct or that you couldn't be called on them in the future.

Cheers, Wayne
I don't understand this: - Change WC san-tee on its back to combo

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Closer, the toilet on the left should drop into a wye fitting.
The kitchen also drops into a wye fitting.
I don't see the washer plumbing, but that will needs it's own vent for the p-trap there.

The toilet flange can be for 4' or 3", The toilet will have a 2" trapway, dropping into 3" or larger.

I have cut out santees below a toilet before, the poop hits and goes both ways, blocking the plumbing from the up stream side.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't understand this: - Change WC san-tee on its back to combo
Your picture in the OP, the fitting under the WC on which you've written 4" ->, that fitting is a san-tee. It can't be used in that orientation with drainage entering the top. The fitting needs to be a wye, or a combo, which is just a wye plus a 45 molded as a single fitting.

As to your last post, the issues:

- Your washer p-trap can not connect directly to the san-tee, you need at least 2" of visible pipe between the edge of the p-trap outlet hub and the edge of the san-tee side inlet hub. I can't tell from the picture if you have that or not.

- Your washer p-trap is vented, which is good, but the dry vent can't go horizontal like that until at least 6" above the standpipe flood rim. So you either need to raise the horizontal vent section or lower the standpipe (which has to be at least 18" long, and your washing machine manual may give a minimum height above the base of the washing machine for the top of the standpipe).

- The 4" iron vent doesn't particularly need to be connected to the vented washing machine drain, but connecting it is fine. That connection is where you can use a san-tee on its back (if you are under the IPC rather than the UPC)

- Your WC needs to be vented before or as it connects to another drain. It can be wet vented by the lav if the drain carrying the lav when it connects to WC is carrying only bathroom fixture. So if you move the kitchen sink drain to connect below the double wye, then the lav will be correctly wet venting the WC.

- The lav and kitchen sink will of course need their own dry vents attached to (presumably) a san-tee on the trap arm. If you are under the IPC, those vents could be AAVs.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the red fitting between the WC closet flange and the 3" wye is another 3"-4" reducer, that's not allowed. With a 3" wye under the closet flange, you'll need to use a 3" riser and 3" closet flange.

Otherwise, if you move the kitchen sink downstream of the double wye, as I've twice mentioned already is required for wet venting the WC, that will comply with the IPC.

If you're subject to the UPC, you'll also need to change the fitting under the 4" cast iron vent stack from a san-tee on its back to a combo. And be sure the lavatory vent and drain (not trap arm) is all 2".

Cheers, Wayne

Gtperez

Reaction score
If the red fitting between the WC closet flange and the 3" wye is another 3"-4" reducer, that's not allowed. With a 3" wye under the closet flange, you'll need to use a 3" riser and 3" closet flange.

Otherwise, if you move the kitchen sink downstream of the double wye, as I've twice mentioned already is required for wet venting the WC, that will comply with the IPC.

If you're subject to the UPC, you'll also need to change the fitting under the 4" cast iron vent stack from a san-tee on its back to a combo. And be sure the lavatory vent and drain (not trap arm) is all 2".

Cheers, Wayne
Sorry Whitney, I am a man of pictures. lol I appreciate your patience as I am not a plumber by any means & I am just doing the best I can since I don't have the funds to pay a plumber.
I've made the corrections that you suggested.
The kitchen sink is about 25 feet away from the kitchen combo. I did put a vent by the kitchen sink.
Here is an updated pic.
Home plumbing-5.jpg

Gtperez

Reaction score
Sorry Whitney, I am a man of pictures. lol I appreciate your patience as I am not a plumber by any means & I am just doing the best I can since I don't have the funds to pay a plumber.
I've made the corrections that you suggested.
The kitchen sink is about 25 feet away from the kitchen combo. I did put a vent by the kitchen sink.
Here is an updated pic.View attachment 83965
Also, the lavatory vent and drain is all 2"

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am a man of pictures.
OK, you have to move where the kitchen sink ties it. It can tie in downstream of the 3" double wye (shown below). Or it could tie in on the right side of the double wye, where the washer is coming in (not shown). And obviously you'd need a 3x3x2 combo or wye.

Cheers, Wayne

Home plumbing-5.jpg

Gtperez

Reaction score
OK, you have to move where the kitchen sink ties it. It can tie in downstream of the 3" double wye (shown below). Or it could tie in on the right side of the double wye, where the washer is coming in (not shown). And obviously you'd need a 3x3x2 combo or wye.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 83970
Thank for that pic, I would not have figured it out myself.
2nd pic (6.5) is just FYI of my layout.
Am I almost home?

Attachments

• Home plumbing-6.jpg
    Home plumbing-6.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Home plumbing-6.5.jpg
    Home plumbing-6.5.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 73

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not following the orientation and layout of the kitchen drain, as you are trying to show 3 dimensions at once, I think. But the pattern (order of connection and choice of fittings) is all good, to my knowledge.

Cheers, Wayne