Submersible in 1700gal tank/ torque issue

Users who are viewing this thread

dchurch

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have posted this in the tank and pump section but dont see a way to move it.

I've been using a submersible pump plumbed vertical in a 1700 gal poly tank for over a decade. The tank is above ground being feed by gravity spring water used for irrigation. The pump is suspended by 1 1/4" sch 80 PVC and 2 lines tied to a stainless eye-bolt. The 1 1/4" exits the tank through the tank sidewall near its top rim.

I have zero complaints about the water system except... A few years ago I replaced the old tired 3/4 HP pump with a new 1 HP pump. I'm happy with the increased uphill water pressure but now there is a chronic problem with the motor torque deforming/cracking the PVC pipe/fittings near the pump. This will be my 3rd repair in the past 3 years!

I currently have about 4 feet of submerged PVC pipe above the pump with a check valve and a union, then the PVC elbow that exits the tank. The torque caused damage has always occurred between the pump and the union. The first failure was a section of the PVC pipe deformed and split. Last time a male fitting split at the treads. This time it looks like the damage is to where the pipe enters the union. I wouldn't mind having to do the repairs if they weren't so frequent.

I could use some ideas here.

Maybe black poly pipe could handle the torque better than the more rigid schedule 80?
I'm not sure about the slip fitting.

I am aware of torque arrestors but don’t see the application with this setup.

I've consider using steel pipe near the pump but fear the torque will simply cause problems further up the line.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know that some equipment that vibrates a lot gets connected with flex hoses to allow for that. Threaded swing joints also might allow for some flex. But if the weight of the pump is on the piping that might negate any measure to reduce its influence on the piping.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Run galvanized to outside of tank then a stainless or hot dipped galvanized angle iron with u clamp on riser, angle bolted to tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks