Square D pressure switch problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I installed a new water well submersible pump and replaced the pressure switch, and well control box as the pump came with one.
My water pressure switch is a square d 40/60.
The problem is the contacts keep getting arced and slag builds up. About every 3 weeks I have to take a nail file and clean them. I've never had this problem before except when I used a square d pump switch.
Is this a common problem? Is there a better switch out there that will not give me this problem?
This is the water for my house and the well is a 3/4 of a mile in the field and when it gets muddy I cannot drive to it. I'm really tired of having to do this.
Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
What current is the pressure switch carrying? A "deluxe" control box has a built in relay, so the control box only switches the relay coil current. Or you could put in your own contactor (relay) to switch the pump current.

The problem is the contacts keep getting arced and slag builds up. About every 3 weeks I have to take a nail file and clean them. I've never had this problem before except when I used a square d pump switch.
Odd problem. How many pressure switches have you gone through?

Reaction score
What current is the pressure switch carrying? A "deluxe" control box has a built in relay, so the control box only switches the relay coil current. Or you could put in your own contactor (relay) to switch the pump current.

Odd problem. How many pressure switches have you gone through?
I have had that well since 94. this is a brand new pump with a brand new control box and a brand new square d pressure control switch. Every time I've had square d pressure control switches I've had this problem. This is the first switch on this pump. It's 220 v and it's only 55 ft deep 1/2 HP motor.

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
I have had that well since 94. this is a brand new pump with a brand new control box and a brand new square d pressure control switch. Every time I've had square d pressure control switches I've had this problem. This is the first switch on this pump. It's 220 v and it's only 55 ft deep 1/2 HP motor.

Yep, unusual. I had wondered if you had a 115 volt pump or if the pump was 3 hp.

Square D 9013FYG2J24 would be a more commercial switch rated for a little higher HP, but 1/2 HP should have been easy on the standard switch. In theory, the contacts of that switch should be replaceable with replacement contacts kit PC242. However that is a lot of work to implement.

What is the minimum run time for your pump? It should be a minute or more.

Is this problem switch outside in the weather?

You might try measuring the current with a clamp-around ammeter. Expected running current through the switch might be 5 amps.

Reaction score
Minimum runtime for my pump is 3 minutes., As it has 2x 89 gallon pressure tanks attached.
Switch is not exposed to weather I made a metal box to go over it and enclose the pressure switch 2 x2 ft sq.. I think I'm just going to have to replace the switch with another non-square d. at the time when I bought this pressure switch I had forgotten that I had problems like this before with sq D switches.
I've never replaced contacts on one before, I just Always replaced the switch.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you know how to measure the current?

Reach4

Reaction score
A cheap one with a clamp ammeter is probably good enough. I am wondering if either there is a failed part or a mis-wiring that causes excess current, but not high enough to trip the breaker.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Square-D makes a good product. Ive got a 3/4 horse pump and my Square-D switch is great. Im on my second one after 21 years as I just had the pump replaced. First switch was still working when the pump was replaced.

Are you sure you've got it wired right with the control box? What you are describing sure sounds like you're exceeding the load of the contacts. Its possible the problem is a bum switch you just happened to get, or its possible the problem is with the pump or start capacitor in the control box etc, but I assure you its not normal to have to clean the contacts of a SquareD pressure switch every month with a properly functioning 1/2 horse pump.

TJanak

Reaction score
I'm sure you would have noticed this, but I've had tawny (rasberry) crazy ants get into my pressure switch contacts and cause a build up that would not allow the pump to start. These ants are known to be drawn to electrical items for whatever reason and would physically get in between the contacts and then apparently get fried into a substance that prevented conduction of electricity. These ants are really only a problem in the south and I see you are from TX. I treated the ground and switch with insecticide and haven't had a problem since.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Contact cleaner is the only thing to use to clean contacts never a file. A closed contact will start to have a problem when voltage across it is over 5 volts. Square D switches are rated for 3 hp 240v 1 ph and 100,000 cycles. Contacts that are burnt the problem isn't the switch its short cycling or chattering. Look at the inside of switch cover bet its burnt and discolored. Need to look at expansion tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I agree with fitter. Burned contacts are usually from cycling too much or switch chatter. If you use a lot of water even three minutes of run time is not enough as there are 1440 minutes in a day, which could still be lots of cycling. Ants in the switch can also cause problems. I use one of those medicated ear tags for cattle and wrap it and the pressure switch in a plastic bag.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks