Some general questions about my bath remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Pauljames

Reaction score
I have a '32 vintage house in woodinville. I've gutted the old bathroom, pulled the floor and am re-studding the terribly out of plumb walls for a Wedi shower in place of the old tub.

The space is 9' x 5'

The arrangement is, along one wall, right to left, SINK, TOILET, SHOWER with the down stack at the very end of the 9' wall on shower end..

Under the floor are 2x9 joists running perpendicular to the 5'
Under the floor joists was a 3 in cast iron waste pipe plugged into a vertical cast iron stack (on the shower end) leading to the basement.

I have demo'd all the cast iron which was leaking and replaced the vertical stack with 3in abs and have a 90 degree at the top projecting into the space under the floor joists (there is plenty of room to get the 1/4 in per foot slope across the 9' bathroom length.

Now I want to start assembling the plumbing. I want to continue the 3 in abs pipe across the 9' length of the bath using appropriate fittings along the way, first picking up the shower drain, next the toilet then the sink.

I plan to use 2in p trap for the shower dumping into the 3in pipe using what HD calls a 3 2 abs dwv hub hub hub "long sweep sanitary tee". The description goes on to say "the NIBCO ABS DWV long radius combination tee-wye .............. "

For the toilet, another similar fitting but of the 3 3 variety.

For the sink, similar fitting of the 3 2 configuration.

I've read a lot about not using "sanitary T's" on their back. So I am wondering if the fitting described is actually a "sanitary T" or if HD is using terminology that does not apply to the fitting and that it is actually not a sanitary tee but a "combo" that can laid on back.

Otherwise, for venting, I was thinking I could wet vent everything via the sink but there is a sunken medicine cabinet that takes up the space in the wall over the sink so it would be difficult to use san t to vent out the top.

the previous cast iron venting was accomplished by 2 inch pipe plugged into a T into the the horizontal cast iron waste.

I pulled that cast iron vent out and tossed it because it weighed a ton and wasn't centered properly between the studs, protruded way past the drywall surface forming a bulge...

So, can I put a 3 2 T in the new abs horizontal waste pipe between the sink and the toilet drain fittings and run a 2 in abs vent up through the roof? Would that be satisfactory venting for the toilet/sink/shower? If not, if the T'ing into the drain is a satisfactory venting technique, I could easily add another T with say a 1.5 or 2 in vent pipe and tie the two together in the attic and out the roof top.

I'd submit a drawing but I can't figure out how to do it, wants a "url" or some such.

Hope I have described this and my questions satisfactorily

Paul

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How you describe it and how you ACTUALLY do it can be two different things, so we would need a drawing of the proposed piping. However, from what you describe, I do not think it is being done correctly.

Pauljames

Reaction score
How you describe it and how you ACTUALLY do it can be two different things, so we would need a drawing of the proposed piping. However, from what you describe, I do not think it is being done correctly.

You are right, I don't know what I am doing. i'm up here from Mesa Arizona working on this house and sometimes I bite off more than I can chew. I've done some copper and pex but never messed with DWV so I am in territory best left to the professionals.

After reading your reply, I decided to get in touch with Terry and let him have a go at it. He's pretty close by. I sent him some photos he asked for a while ago.

Thanks for your insight HJ

Pauljames

Reaction score
Terry Love was out at the house yesterday. In short order turned a plumbing horror show into what looked to me like a sculpture, a work of art !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks