Solar Hot Water Stainless Steel Tank size

Users who are viewing this thread

rollandriives

Reaction score
why are the tanks only 120 Gallons? some code rule? why can they not be bigger? as i find with solar Hot water more storage is better! what im trying to make for better solar hot water recovery but i would like to get a bigger tank made
and where can i buy a drain back tank?

Attachments

• Concave solar tank THIS one.png
    Concave solar tank THIS one.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Common sence and more is not always better. First it's the weight. 119 gallons of water is 992lbs, plus the weight of the tank. Then you need a floor that can support thatvweight. Physical size is another. You need to be able to lift and move the empty tank through door ways and stairs such as for a basement location. 120 gallon for domestic use is more than needed. To go larger would be commercial application, therefore, most installations 120 gallon works. Being in California you probably need to install as a water heater to meet seismic codes. Adding a second tank is your other option.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Wouldn't doubt lead time for a tank builder is a year or better and the cost $$$$$. Drain down tank probably a electric water heater. Already insulated, hot connection vent, cold drain down and drain for pump refill. Using vacuum tubes? Boiler grade glycol and 1/2" or 3/4" boiler air vents.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks